Anathema - A Fine Day to Exit

IcemanJ256

Dark Overlord
Apr 28, 2002
Dayton, Ohio, USA
www.amazon.com
well here goes nothing.. my first review here.

Anathema - A Fine Day to Exit [5/5 stars]
Incredible Album
Even though Anathema has completely evolved from their old style, this album is genius. This was my introduction to the band, but this made me want to own all of their work, and I plan on collecting all their albums in backwards order. [I now have Judgement and Alternative 4] I do understand their older stuff was more metal and had a more 'doomy' element. This album has an acoustic feel most of the time. "Pressure" sounds like something Radiohead would do, because of the piano loop, but that's only the real Radiohead influences I can hear. Dispite what others are saying, I don't think the album has that many songs that have predictable melodies. "A Fine day to Exit" (the title track) and "Release" are very progressive. They both start out nice and quiet and get gradually heavier. The title track especially is an awe-inspiring, haunting tune and the acoustics in "release" have a very peaceful and tranquil, yet upbeat feel. "Looking Outside Inside" has a kind of sudden unpredictable direction somewhere in the song also. "Panic" is a real suprise. This song is brilliant, the lyrics, and the fast-paced, stressful feel. It is some of Anathema's best work so far. The singer's vocal range and melody sounds great on "Leave no Trace" and "Barriers". Finally, we have "Temporary Peace", a real treat. The moment "Beyond this beautiful horizon lies a dream for you and I / This tranquil scene is still unbroken by the rumors in the sky" is sung, it is one of the most astonishing and satisfying parts of the album, and shortly after that you hear the sound of ocean waves to end the album. Perfect ending to a perfect album. This should probably be your introduction to the band. Definately pick this up if you like Dredg. If you haven't heard of Dredg be sure to check out their little masterpiece "Leitmotif". If you've been a fan of Anathema since the early days, this album is much different but still the same level of brilliance. It has certainly become one of my all time favorites.

Very good review. I have this album and think it is quite good myself, although not as good as Serenades.

I will look into Dredg. Thanks

Great review! I'll have to admit "A Fine Day to Exit" is my least favorite Anathema release. It's not bad, but not as good as the others. Personally "Alternative 4" is my favorite. It makes me cry every time I listen to it.

Originally posted by npearce
....It makes me cry every time I listen to it.

Ha! You big baby!

bawling.gif

Originally posted by npearce
Great review! I'll have to admit "A Fine Day to Exit" is my least favorite Anathema release. It's not bad, but not as good as the others. Personally "Alternative 4" is my favorite. It makes me cry every time I listen to it.
So very true... A4 is the shit...