A GMD crosspost for those of you that enjoy synthy black and "black" metal stuff

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
I have a strange penchant for shit like this, you know, Norwegian albums from 1996 that took the emphasis on synthesizer work and atmosphere on works like "In the Nightside Eclipse" and "Dark Medieval Times" and exaggerated it more than is healthy, and then they put castles on their cover art. There's something special in the atmosphere of many of these bands, although they're maybe not always "black metal" as such, and even though pretty much all of the bands included below have since turned to complete sell-out garbage. Listen to this shit though... They don't make music like this anymore

1. Dismal Euphony "Et Vintereventyr" (Soria Moria Slott)
2. Old Man's Child "Manet Sorgfull Igjennom Skogen" (In the Shades of Life)
3. Troll "Drep De Kristne" (Drep De Kristne)
4. Covenant "Visions of a Lost Kingdom" (In Times Before the Light)
5. Mundanus Imperium "Winds of the Frozen Stars" (Ode to the Nightsky)
6. Forlorn "Lik Av Falne Menn" (The Crystal Palace)
7. Dimmu Borgir "Raabjørn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde" (Inn i Evighetens Mørke)
8. Malignant Eternal "Into Twilight" (Tårnet)

Download this shit

I like this album:

B000000H22.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It sounds like going to a fancy dress party, drinking wine, and then around midnight all the hot women turn into werewolves like in Shadowgate.

some songs on EDT were OK, particularly the third track, but overall shit, yeah. same with Spiritual black dimensons with Insight and the Catharsis.

is for all tid worth getting?

someone upload that third track from EDT.

always wondered about Troll and Dismal Euphony.

I like most of those bands because, as Erik put it, they managed to shape a good stargazing atmosphere, however cheap-sounding the keys. Funny how almost every post-1996 attempt at "symphonic" BM ended up somewhere between redundant and laughable. Hell, even Bal Sagoth were awesome up until "Battle Magic".

More recently, a handful of bands have learned to produce good material again using orchestra-layered keyboards (Nocternity, Kataxu...)

Erik said:
oi. i happen to have 2 copies of that album, one is new in shrink-wrap. pm me if interested.

There are big difference between the pressings, as the mix is different. They say, that the 1st pressing had much softer sound (and one song less) than the second pressing. The third pressing should have the same sound as the first pressing...Confusing, I have the second pressing and would love to compare it to first pressing.

Damn, I should get Ode to the Nightsky, I have everything else on your list.

EDIT - And it seems I have the MI-song too, as it appears on Hot Records-compilation.

I'm not sure, because the version I have has that cover + the other cover. That was just a 2-sided card over the original waterfall-cover.

How many songs your version has?

EDIT - Late, so I'm quessing you have the 3rd pressing, as it seems only the 2nd had the extra-song.

Erik said:
it's from a 3-song EP though... good stuff for sure! seemingly absolutely impossible to find these days, even had to search a lot to find mp3's for download

Yeah, that compilation had two tracks from the MI-demo, that was also released as MCD, so it only misses one track from the MCD. Great collection btw, had 2 rare OMC-tracks too!

Erik said:
So basically, 3rd press is exactly the same as 1st pressing with regards to artwork, tracklist and mix?

I bought both of these new about a year or so ago so most likely they are 3rd press yes

Yeah, I asked about this elsewhere and that was the answer.

Btw: Here's the tracklist of:

Hot Records Compilation Vol 1 - The Rape Of The Holy Trinity

Intro - Infernal Parody of the Trinity
Dodheimsgard - Symptom
Mundanus Imperium - Ode to the Nightsky
Aura Noir - Heavens on Fire
Old Man's Child - A Kingdom Which Malice Embrace
Dimmu Borgir - Devil's Path
Enthral - Awaiting the Rise of the Forestgod
Mundanus Imperium - Winds of the Frozen Stars
Covenant - Dragonstorms
Starkness - Unto the Darkly Shining World
Nocturnal Breed - Dead Dominion
Old Man's Child - Black Magic
Aura Noir - The Tower of Limbs and Fevers
Nocturnal Breed - Raping the Angels

I really like that Mundanus Imperium song, who I'd never actually even heard of before, unlike all the others. Is the album worth getting?

EDIT: ok, I've just seen that this song is from their debut EP, before they started playing power metal.

Ellestin said:
More recently, a handful of bands have learned to produce good material again using orchestra-layered keyboards (Nocternity, Kataxu...)

Samples?