A good compressor for aggressive vocals

Ermz, I use my PBC to track and mix. I've used it on vocals, bass and kick and snare with awesome results. It's very interesting to use as that the threshold and ratio are program dependant. I got to try it against a Distressor and an 1176 in a drum tracking session and it had no problem keeping up with both units. Hopefully I can afford to buy another one soon so that I can use it in the mix on stereo busses.

Ermz, I use my PBC to track and mix. I've used it on vocals, bass and kick and snare with awesome results. It's very interesting to use as that the threshold and ratio are program dependant. I got to try it against a Distressor and an 1176 in a drum tracking session and it had no problem keeping up with both units. Hopefully I can afford to buy another one soon so that I can use it in the mix on stereo busses.

What about on vocals? That's what I'd really want a Distressor for... can the PBC compete with it for really aggressive vocals?

What about on vocals? That's what I'd really want a Distressor for... can the PBC compete with it for really aggressive vocals?

Hell yes. The Distressor is definitely different, but both are great with aggressive sources. The PBC is cleaner sounding at high GR levels. If you want something that has color and is versatile as hell for a third the price, the FMR is the way to go.

another option would be the LA Audio Classic Compressor II.
it's my main vox comp during mixdown, VERY 1176 style, and with a little luck it can be found used within that range.

I love my FMR RNLA on vocals; I can only imagine how the PBC sounds if it's being talked up as much as it is.

I've used an 1176 and Distressor in other studios in the past, and they are indeed fantastic, so that's certainly saying something about the FMR unit. They do have quite the reputation for producing quality gear though.

not sure about the PCB, but mercenary audio sells a rackmount deal by funklogic for rackmounting the RNC and/or RNLA

Is there any way to rack these units up?

They will fit into the Funklogic rack plates for the RNC/RNLA, but the control layout it different, so you'd have to relabel or remember which knob performs which function. I've got mine on a sliding rack shelf with my DI's.

I love my FMR RNLA on vocals; I can only imagine how the PBC sounds if it's being talked up as much as it is.

I used to have an RNLA too. Worked great on bass. Nice piece, only downfall is the unbalanced I/O. The PBC takes the "color" a step further than this one. It's tough to beat FMR stuff for the price.

I love the RNC on snare and vocals for 175 you can't go wrong. they fucking rule

A little offtopic: Ryan, when you record those fantastic samples (snare, toms...) Have you recorded it already compressed??? Or there´s no need to compress a sample because of its dynamic....¿? I´m going to track some snare, toms and bass drum samples and I want to do the thing right.