A good midrange vocal wireless mike for Vita Imana´s singer!!

acappa

Alex Cappa TMF Studios
Hey folks! A new question! I´m PA tech for Vita Imana, and the singer always is asking me to pick a good/affordable wireless mike for the shows, he is a very very active singer/front man so he is in serious need of picking one up, but in wireless systems I´m lost, don´t know if Shure/Sennheiser/AKG....¿?
Budget is around 500€. We are playing in big venues/festivals.
I´m seeing THIS ONE

What you guys think? Thanks as always.

If you can afford it I would get a Shure with a 87 cap on it, not cheap but out of all the ones I used at work I think they are by far the most stable and best sounding.
Stay away from a shure 58 caps and the cheaper shure as they seem to get really damp and sound crap unless you dry the bastard thing out which is a pain in the arse if your touring.
The other cheaper option is one of the LD system mics. A engineer I know got loads of lapels and body packs pretty cheap and they seem reliable, seem to see more and more of that companies stuff kicking about.

this is a really nice sounding mic

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Wireless-System-ND767a-Microphone/dp/B0007WPFEC[/ame]

Looks like the same cap ad the premium system but with the more basic reciever. Didn't know they made these.

Looks like a winner! Only thing I would say is the range isn't amazing on the 58 version and the reciever is plastic so keep it on stage in a flight case and u would have no problem. Also keep the silica gel pouches that cone with it in the Mic storage case to suck up the moisture after use.

A friend of mine that has used b87,b58 and sm58 wireless states: Stay away from b87 if you´re gonna act like an animal on stage. If you´re thinking in covering partialy the capsule with you hand and some other screaming techniques, feedback is gonna kill you on monitors and P.A. b87 is for more static/melodyc kind of stuff....now don´t know what to choose...¿?
What sort of brand are using the pros?? Angela Gossow, Burton C Bell, John Howard.....¿?

Do people in pro bands actually still cup the mic? I have not had major feedback problems with a 87a cap, yeah sure if the monitors are not rung out properly I guess that could happen.
I kinda thought that the general consensus on cupping the mic is thats pretty much a no go if you don't wanna sound like arse. I can't remember anyone I've engineered or gone and seen in quite a while do that.
Anyhow the thing I would do is dry hire a couple of different radios when you got a few gigs in a row and see which one the singer is most comfortable with.

Do people in pro bands actually still cup the mic? I have not had major feedback problems with a 87a cap, yeah sure if the monitors are not rung out properly I guess that could happen.
I kinda thought that the general consensus on cupping the mic is thats pretty much a no go if you don't wanna sound like arse. I can't remember anyone I've engineered or gone and seen in quite a while do that.
Anyhow the thing I would do is dry hire a couple of different radios when you got a few gigs in a row and see which one the singer is most comfortable with.

With all the info gathered I will let the singer choose which one to pick, thank you so much, cheers!

A friend of mine that has used b87,b58 and sm58 wireless states: Stay away from b87 if you´re gonna act like an animal on stage. If you´re thinking in covering partialy the capsule with you hand and some other screaming techniques, feedback is gonna kill you on monitors and P.A. b87 is for more static/melodyc kind of stuff....now don´t know what to choose...¿?
What sort of brand are using the pros?? Angela Gossow, Burton C Bell, John Howard.....¿?

I agree.. I would not choose a beta 87 for screaming material. It is a supercardioid which is NOT good to use for screamers/cuppers, even if you ring out the monitors really well.

I honestly thought this was for clean singing, so I would retract my recommendation above for the EV mic and recommend a beta 58 wireless. The best female dirty vocal sound I've heard was from a wired mic. The Blue Encore 300 (used by Otep). Super clean and no feedback issues at all with my house graphs, which my monitors are rung out for SM58s. It even has a space around the capsule to keep cuppers from completely enclosing the capsule! Pretty cool. There is no wireless version yet, but I'd expect one soon, as they used them wirelessly on American Idol.

I actually have a sample from a board mix, I didn't mix this btw

http://www.btkaudio.com/music/otep.mp3