Day in the life of Don Capps and Mike Haid, our festival "Drum Techs"

miel

Mrs. Harvester
Staff member
Feb 17, 2009
Don Capps and Mike Haid's main focus are the drummers at the festival. Technical issues for a musician can easily make or break a performance, so tech support is something we certainly don't take lightly. Don and Mike have worked the festival for many years, and we simply couldn't do without them! They are experts at what they do, and like other stage crew members, we're indebted to them each year.

We are also greatly appreciative of our drum sponsors:

Pacific Drums
Drum Workshop Drums and hardware
Sabian cymbals
Evans drumheads
Shure microphones
ProMark drumsticks

What exactly do drum techs do during set change in between bands?
We consult with each drummer as to what his specific needs are in regards to drum and cymbal placement, and then make the appropriate changes. This can take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, or longer, depending on the drummer.

Does each drummer usually require something different?
Yes, most every drummer has a certain set up that they are most comfortable with. We try and get as close as possible within the time constraints.

What challenges do you face during the show?
Our biggest challenges, as drum techs, are making sure the drummer is comfortable when the band is ready to play. Then, we have to keep a strict watch on the drummer and the kit as the band plays their set and make sure we are ready to jump up on the drum riser and fix anything that may break, or shake loose, or fall off the drum kit. This can, and usually does happen in the middle of a song. If we take our eyes off the drummer for any length of time, it could cause the drummer to have a total meltdown in the middle of a song, if a crucial part of the kit (snare drum, bass drum pedal, etc) breaks in the middle of a song.

Memorable drum stories?
Wow, there are too many to remember. After hundreds of drummers, it’s hard to pinpoint a particular story. Mike Terrana gave us a scare when he played a few years ago, when he launched into a drum solo and said, “I’m going to tear this drum kit apart”!! It was a brand new sponsorship kit and we thought he was going to literally pull a Keith Moon and destroy the kit. But, he just played his ass off and the kit was fine.

Tell us about the kit
The monster ProgPower kit has been an icon on the ProgPower stage since the 2nd festival. We are blessed to have great drum sponsors. We have had the same sponsors since the very beginning. They are Pacific Drums and Drum Workshop Drums and hardware, Sabian cymbals, Evans drumheads, Shure microphones, and we have just added ProMark drumsticks. They have all been very supportive and we are thankful for their continued support for ProgPower.

How long does it take to build/break-down?
The kit takes about an hour to assemble when we first build the kit. It’s much quicker to take apart at the end of the festival. There are times when we have to take the kit off-stage for a drummer that insists on using his own kit. But, it stays assembled; we just carry it off the stage and set it backstage.

When does your day typically start/end at PP?
Our day usually starts between 9- 10am with sound checks, and we are on-call all day. Some days, there are more sound checks than others. There is usually not much time between sound checks and when the 1st band starts for the afternoon. It’s a very long weekend. We usually don’t leave the venue until about 1-2am each day.

Our kit is sponsored – how did that come about and who is involved?
Mike Haid first covered the second edition of the festival that was held in Atlanta. Then, Glenn contacted Mike about a possible sponsorship with Modern Drummer, and fortunately, Mike was able to secure the drum sponsors because of his affiliation with Modern Drummer magazine. Mike was also able to provide coverage for the festival in Modern Drummer magazine for about 10 years. Modern Drummer magazine has been very instrumental in the success of our sponsorships with the drum, cymbal, drum head and stick sponsors that I mentioned earlier. It’s been a great relationship all the way around, for the magazine, the sponsors and the festival.

Favorite drummer(s) you’ve worked with at PP?
I can’t say that I have a favorite. They are all great in their own unique way. Some of the best drummers in the progressive metal world have played at ProgPower, and they are all unique; and most of them are super nice guys. We’ve only had a couple of bad eggs. It’s a pleasure to get to sit next to the drum kit and watch these amazing players, year after year. If you are into drumming, the ProgPower Festival offers a gold mine of great drummers. That’s one of the reasons I love working the festival.

Do we replace a lot of drum heads and sticks during PP?
It depends on the drummer. Sometimes, we can use the heads a little longer. Other times, a drummer can destroy a set of heads in one set. Most drummers have their own sticks, but we offer a supply of ProMark sticks for the drummer who needs sticks because he broke his, forget to bring them or drops too many during a set.

Mike adds, "I never intended to become a drum tech for ProgPower. But, after getting to know Glenn, and the PP crew, I was impressed with their personable and professional attitudes and wanted to help out as much as possible to make ProgPower the best progressive metal festival in the world. And, I think we have accomplished that. I’m proud to be part of such a great organization. Glenn, Jen and the mighty PP crew are special folks and it’s a pleasure to still be involved, and to see the festival grow into one of the best prog metal festivals on the planet. Thank you all for your love and friendship!"

5529_114828762942_4856729_n.jpg
Don Capps

5529_114828852942_5064502_n.jpg
Mike Haid

655_98823655581_9553_n.jpg

385580_4214200507599_334394537_n.jpg

384121_2741430809277_879678050_n.jpg
(Don - far right)

405188_10151099304632943_170563136_n.jpg
(Don - middle w/ microphone)

376342_10150377707942943_1260449412_n.jpg
Don in the middle & Mike on the right

~Jen

Our drumtechs put up with an insane amount of bullshit considering how picky drummers can be with their set-up. Their patience and dedication show true professionalism.

Thanks guys.