Day in the life of Tommy Bryant, our festival "Backstage Manager"

miel

Mrs. Harvester
Staff member
Feb 17, 2009
Tommy Bryant is our official “Backstage Manager” for the festival. He is the essential behind-the-scenes hub and is crucial to the festival’s smooth operation.

What exactly does he do, you ask? Well, for one, he’s often a father, brother, friend, and psychiatrist to crew, bands and others backstage. :)

He is Glenn’s personal assistant (and brother, for those that aren’t aware!) and usually the very first person to arrive at the venue (coming in around 8am) and the last to leave (between 2am - 4am). Tommy’s there to ensure bands are happy while enforcing the rules, and also communicates to Glenn what the mood is backstage (which is very important!) and what the critical needs are in a timely manner.

Example of some of his duties:

• Stocks & replenishes bands’ backstage rooms with beer, ice, bottled water, towels, and any other special requests
• Collects and launders dirty towels
• Sets up and takes down gold badge & t-shirt table/chairs (x2)
• Stocks stage crew’s cooler with bottled water and ice each day
• Stocks VIP bar for sponsors (whiskey most often requested!)
• Assists caterer
• Assists stage crew during downtime (load in and out of rental stage equipment/instruments)
• Cleans up dressing rooms after-hours
• Assists Glenn with cash distribution
• Assists Glenn with sponsors backstage (introducing sponsors to bands and coordinating barrier badges)
• Manages crowd control backstage
• Responds to about a million calls and texts from Glenn :)
• Venue liaison between Glenn and venue
• Keeps tabs on stock [water, alcohol, etc.] obtained from venue
• Works with vendor and signing session guys (Keith, Jim, Hoyt) and at times, finding bands to get them to Keith
• Coordinates with Mike and Lara on bands’ pick-ups and drop-offs
• Provides security during wardrobe changes during sets
• Locks up the venue

Tommy says, “I’m often finding things needed when there is no time to go out and get them. So, if I run past you in the backstage area, vendor area, or anywhere else and seem rude, I apologize, as something really important is going on or needed right away.”

Strangest special request?
“That would be a receptacle to place on stage for a band member that was feeling sick – just in case they needed to vomit during their set.”

Best quote?
"Can we get some candles or something for this stanking ass bathroom?"

Best memory?
“Glenn having Mike Clark caution tape the pit for Sabaton so that Taylor (Tommy’s teenage son), Glenn and I could be front and center for their set. It was Taylor's first ProgPower and that made it very special.”

“Hanging backstage and in the Courtyard with the some of the guys from Voyager talking about anything and everything. I actually got to relax.”

Worst memory?
“Spending 8 of my last 9 wedding anniversaries at the festival without my wife, Tamara. I have the most understanding wife in the world. She knows how much I enjoy the craziness.”

THANK YOU, Tommy for all of your hard work and dedication!

264711_10150247184912943_6764040_n.jpg

tommy.jpg

tommy2.jpg

~Jen

“Glenn having Mike Clark caution tape the pit for Sabaton so that Taylor (Tommy’s teenage son), Glenn and I could be front and center for their set. It was Taylor's first ProgPower and that made it very special.”

I remember that, it was so cool to see Glenn in the pit enjoying the set. Hehe. Glad that his son got to enjoy that one too :D

And I,for one, am very grateful that Tommy takes care of the crew cooler! I'd die back there if I didn't stay hydrated. Of course, he is good at dehydrating us before and after the festival too. One seriously funny dude too! Though he and Wayne are such a bad influence for me. ;-)

Tommy is awesome, and ia always there to help out with just about anything and everythiung. Yet another one of the people who make me proud to serve on this crew.....

No matter where I am at or what I am doing, it only takes Tommy seconds to respond to my call. His influence backstage is invaluable and his efforts have shaped the ProgPower USA reputation behind the scenes with all the bands. Honestly, he handles more shit than I even know about. He's my brother and I love him dearly.

Best memory?

Ah yes, how I so remember that myself. I remember standing right there next to Glenn during that whole set (being one of the sponsors for Sabaton). My God, how that was so awesome.

But yes, I've seen Tommy running around back there getting things to the bands when needed as well as deal with the 'crowd control', especially when a band just gets down after a performance and everybody wants to go see them backstage.

He definitely the one guy that keeps the backstage area from completely turning into a clusterfuck.

I certainly try to stay out of his way so he can tend to whatever duties he needs to tend to. I just never gave it much thought, since we practically take him for granted. The next time, I'll have to give him his proper thanks and kudos for all the work he does back there for everyone and keeping things going smoothly.

Thanks Glenn and everyone. Progpower weekend is one of the best weekends every year and I will be there till the end.

Tommy = grace under pressure while working, and entertaining and fun as hell when not working. Kudos to him for being able to manage all that he does, and to do it with a smile. :)