Day in the life of Rick Pierpont and John Willcoxon, our festival "Guitar Techs"

miel

Mrs. Harvester
Staff member
Feb 17, 2009
Rick Pierpont and John Willcoxon's main focus are the guitarists at the festival. Technical issues for a musician can easily make or break a performance, so tech support is something we certainly don't take lightly. Rick and John work extremely well under pressure and are excellent problem solvers when issues arise. We couldn't do it without them!

Some examples of their duties:

Assist crew with load-in and load-out of gear
Reposition/configure cabinets (after each set!)
Setup amp and cabling
Setup any outboard gear the artists bring with them
Dialing in sounds
Taping down cables and pedals
Tune, setup, clean, and occasionally repair guitars
Setup cords and outlets - both US & Euro power
Assist reconfiguring the stage
Add/remove risers
Prepare additional or spare instruments

Both guys ensure we have loaner guitars available, if needed. These must be tuned and setup so they're on hand in an emergency. We've had a couple of nice Les Pauls recently, but Rick states that he has brought a few of his personal favorites from home to use as loaners. Last year, Christian Vidal from Therion used it for one of their songs that required a different tuning and Ihsahn also had it as a backup. This year, Marcus Siepen of Sinbreed had it as a backup just in case he broke a string - which actually happened! He used it for one song and Rick had a new string on his guitar by the time that song was over and Marcus was able to finish with his.

What time does your day start/end?
"We are usually at the venue around 9am and our day ends between 2am - 3am. Saturday nights can be a bit later, as we have to inventory gear, pack, and load-out the backline."

Best memory?
John: "SO many great memories, onstage & off. Being part of the PPUSA family, and contributing however I can to the cause. Getting to work with such a great crew and kickass bands. Great seats. Great food. And hazing Harris The Epic :)"

Rick: "I do have tons of great memories and fully agree with JayDub about the working with such a great organization that truly is like family. My favorite memory is Ed Platt's (Enchant - one of my favorite bands) foot controlled keyboard that was dead at sound check. I figured out what chip was dead so Mike Clark took me to Radio Shack to buy a new part and I was able to fix it in time for their show. Ed was VERY grateful and it felt great to help one of my favorite bands put on the show as they intended."

Worst memory?
John: "Long hours + aging body. Seriously, If we didn’t love what we do, we wouldn’t be doing it."

Rick: "I tend to push the bad memories out, but there was one particular changeover where we had a band that insisted that we use their mess of a setup when in reality it way over-complicated things."

THANK YOU BOTH for all of your hard work and dedication!

Rick's photos:

odinscourt-pathfinder-20080202-26-Esa.jpg

RickHelpingGreggfromSuspyre.jpg

RickWithEnchant.jpg

Rickwithsomeof7thWnder-1.jpg

RickwithLeprous-1.jpg

RickwithMichaelErickson-1.jpg

John's photos:

John-AHY-1.jpg

IMG_0011-1.jpg

jdub.jpg

jd3.jpg

jd.jpg

~Jen

Rick & Jay-Dub came to the crew's aid a few years back and we haven't looked back since (even though we paused with Jay Dub's jogging pants that one year). Thank you both gentlemen. Your hard work and dedication should be applauded by all.

Awesome to see two very good friends of mine to get their due credit! Rick told me that story about Enchant's pedal keyboard going kaput and then being "Johhny-on-the-spot" to get it fixed and working again. Very cool again. As other have already said, "Keep up the awesome work".

Also explains why that one guitar during Therion's set look familier. I think I even remember thinking when I saw that "Hey, that is the same guitar Rick has!". Did not realize it was indeed ACTUALLY Rick's guitar!

Rick & Jay-Dub came to the crew's aid a few years back and we haven't looked back since (even though we paused with Jay Dub's jogging pants that one year). Thank you both gentlemen. Your hard work and dedication should be applauded by all.

Thanks Boss! If I don't give ya'll something to pause about every year, I'd be slacking, and not doing my job....:devil: Yes I still have those joggin' pants....which brings me to.....

"Jogging isn't in J-Dub's vocabulary" - Tommy
Those are sweat pants! lmao These guys do a great job in the wings........ :headbang::kickass

I still laugh about that quip.....Tommy rules! And Thank you, Bossman #2.
I was looking forward to next year before I left Atlanta this year. There truly isn't a finer bunch people I'd want want to work this festival with, and yes that includes YOU! :::::::::::: finger gaze ::::::::::: :devil: :Spin:

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far, it's always a feel good bonus to know what we do is appreciated! :headbang: