Day in the life of Lara, our festival "Driver"

miel

Mrs. Harvester
Staff member
Feb 17, 2009
Lara is our official “driver” for the festival. She is always working tirelessly behind the scenes and is crucial to the festival’s smooth operation.

She is responsible for getting bands back and forth from their hotel to the venue. Not a big deal? Think again!

This year, we had 14 bands, and each has a different time schedule that must be coordinated beforehand.

There are soundchecks, autograph sessions, and show-times. They must be picked-up at their hotel and later, dropped back off at their hotel. All while dealing with horrendous Atlanta traffic. Oh, and don't forget the trip to get all of their gear to the venue!

On Fri. and Sat. she typically drives from 9:30am to around 1:30/2am.

And there's the occasional "extra" trip too - for example this year, an ice run and band's request to be taken to a local restaurant.

Rush hour traffic and also neighboring Georgia Tech's "Greek Row" & Atlantic Station traffic certainly don't make her job any easier.

This year, she kept Nightwish's Imaginaerum on repeat in the van. \m/

She's been serenaded in the van by Freak Kitchen, Delain, Voyager, Thunderstone, Tarot, and probably a few others. :)

Lara states, "My dream is to one day have Freak Kitchen, Voyager, and Circus Maximus in my van, at the same time (and throw in Ken Hammer, after drinking, too)."

THANK YOU, Lara for all of your hard work and dedication!

Center Stage security helps Lara park
A2yJehSCMAAuvQS.jpg

Lara with the Nightwish bus drivers
A2uLmwnCMAAY_sM.jpg

Van magnet
A2tJM6cCQAAXpmD.jpg

"Hey Foster, further proof of a conspiracy.."
A2tIkZaCIAAwIoV.jpg

oc7d8uinj:tw1

03a3952785118c843102ae186922bcc1.jpeg

5529_117285012942_6469493_n.jpg

Lara can be followed on Twitter: @ppusadrivrodoom

~Jen

Lara is another unsung here in our crew. Her days are just as long, if not longer than the rest of the crew. However, she never complains and is simply irreplaceable.

Thank you Driver O Doom.

I'm really digging these behind the scene posts. Please keep them coming. It gives me even more understanding as to how difficult it is to pull of this fest. Good stuff!!

I don't know how the girl does it. She might be bionic. :)

Not bionic, but next year I'm definitely going to add caffeine back into my diet. This year I was a moron and clung to me "decaf only" diet, with the exception of one cappuccino on Thursday or Friday. I think the anti-caffeine regimen was my stupidest choice, especially in the morning.

I'm really digging these behind the scene posts. Please keep them coming. It gives me even more understanding as to how difficult it is to pull of this fest. Good stuff!!

Thanks for the feedback - it's good to hear! I was wondering.. ;)

Glenn and I wanted to highlight some members of the "non-stage" crew that most attendees never see behind the scenes. They are our unsung heroes!

Next up will be Tommy, backstage manager.

~Jen

I happened to be in one of those van trips w/Freak Kitchen. They could do a sit com based on a coast to coast road trip with those guys. Of course, with Lara driving! :D

Our metal sis rocks, and I don't know how she deals with the Atlanta traffic the way she does.....

Awaiting the Tommy post! :)

Another small tidbit, I got the Driver o' Doom nickname from Mattias IA Eklund, when he wrote their travel blog for their first year playing the fest. I miss those guys. :cry:

I happened to be in one of those van trips w/Freak Kitchen. They could do a sit com based on a coast to coast road trip with those guys. Of course, with Lara driving! :D

Our metal sis rocks, and I don't know how she deals with the Atlanta traffic the way she does.....

Awaiting the Tommy post! :)

Oh man, they would be like Click and Clack of the musician persuasion. It'd be sooooooo awesome!

Can't wait for Tommy either \m/

Lara, Al and I can NEVER remember your name! (sorry!) But this thread, I think, helped cure that problem.

Thanks for driving the bands! You rock. :)

Thanks!!! No need to apologize for not remembering my name, I answer to Freak, too.

Hell yeah, Lara rocks! I really have an appreciation for her since:
a) I would not want to contend with Atlanta traffic as much as she does
b) my first year on the crew I was at the Courtyard and the 14th Street bridge was out. It was like a 20 minute walk and she drove me back and forth a few times.
3) when I played a festival out in San Fransisco, I was eternally grateful that we had someone to shuttle us back and forth from the venue as well as pick us up and drop us off at the airport. It wasn't Lara, but I can imagine the bands appreciating her at PP!

You guys are welcome. The van rides aren't hellish at all. When I'm in a rush it can be a bit stressful, but there's not much I can do about it. It is what it is. Having laid back bands who like to joke around and chat makes it well worth it. I've learned a lot about quite a few musicians, including some of their dreams, and gotten some really good one-liners...this year's started with, "Are you married?" And went from there. Everyone was laughing.

All I can say is this woman has the patience of a saint...I've seen how tight her schedule is, and how many oddball requests she's had to field over the years. She rocks and I love her to death! :headbang: