A japanese band that actually sounds like WIN!

What about Galneryus?

Japanese Pink Floyd/Black Sabbath Hybrid

Last edited by a moderator:
i think that is my main problem with a lot of japanese music that ive heard
its all like
japanese VERSIONS of western stuff
like i swear theres like 20 visual kei bands that all sound like japanese VERSIONS of korn.
yknow? D:

well I don't get if on the first video they sing in english or a mixture of english/japanese (not so uncommon for japanese bands) since the lyrics differs from the subtitles, other than that, yeah a good band

It's just the Engrish man :lol: Japanese generally speak very bad English, since they start teaching it in schools in Junior High, which is quite late. The teachers are often pretty bad too. For example, about a month ago, the daughter of my ex-gf's sister's host family (she'd visited Japan some years ago) visited Finland, and we asked if she spoke English. She said she did, but no, she didn't. AT ALL. She understood a little, but couldn't speak one word :lol: I can imagine what it was like for her in her host family here in Finland, since she understood nothing and nobody understood her either.

I just heard they're going to start teaching English in primary school in 2011 though, which is a pretty good thing.

Japanese is quite a different language from anything else that I've studied; it's not really a surprise that they also use some English in the lyrics. There are words left out and words that are added, and many things can be said in many different ways, even though they are still the same thing translated. E.g. たぶん、雨が降らないだろうと思いますよ which means that "(my opinion is that) it's probably not going to rain", but there's some added bits there that make it different from e.g. たぶん、雨が降らない which also means "it's probably not going to rain", but it's quite a rude way to say the same thing. So if you just want to say something simple like "you lucky fucker" or something, it's far easier to put it in English, even if it's hard to pronounce; especially since there's only R in Japanese, no L (R is pronounced in between R and L, and many Japanese people cannot even hear and recognize R and L as a different consonant), and that sentence has both. So that sentence would probably end up sounding something like "Yuu rakki fukkelu" (or ユウラッキファケル) which sounds confusing as hell; kind of sounds like English but still doesn't :lol:

Why does a word "women" come into my mind from this description? :Smug:

I think it's exactly the opposite with women :lol: In Japanese, you'll know what the sayer actually means from those tiny bits, they just cannot be translated well, since not very many languages have anything similar. My old teacher used to say that Japanese is a language of feelings, and it's quite true really.

Whereas women, oh god :lol: they'll never add any hints and bits to tell you what they actually mean and how they are feeling, and of course, they'll often mean something entirely different than what they say. :Smug:

I think it's exactly the opposite with women :lol: In Japanese, you'll know what the sayer actually means from those tiny bits, they just cannot be translated well, since not very many languages have anything similar. My old teacher used to say that Japanese is a language of feelings, and it's quite true really.

Whereas women, oh god :lol: they'll never add any hints and bits to tell you what they actually mean and how they are feeling, and of course, they'll often mean something entirely different than what they say. :Smug:

I'll quote your message once more:

many things can be said in many different ways, even though they are still the same thing translated.

Q: Would you like to go for a dinner in an expensive restaurant tonight?
A variant 1: "Yes", means "Yes"
A variant 2a: "Maybe", means "Yes"
A variant 2b: "Maybe", means "Yes, but you're paying"
A variant 3a: "No", means "Yes, but I want you to convince me more"
A variant 3b: "No", means "No"
A variant 4a: "Not tonight", means "You just promised to take me out when I want"
A variant 4b: "Not tonight", means "I'm cheating on you and I'm going to break up with you today"

When compared to the male answers...

A variant 2: "Maybe", means "Maybe"
A variant 3: "No", means "No"

I'll quote your message once more:

A variant 2a: "Maybe", means "Yes"
A variant 2b: "Maybe", means "Yes, but you're paying"
A variant 3a: "No", means "Yes, but I want you to convince me more"
A variant 3b: "No", means "No"
A variant 4a: "Not tonight", means "You just promised to take me out when I want"
A variant 4b: "Not tonight", means "I'm cheating on you and I'm going to break up with you today"

When compared to the male answers...

A variant 2: "Maybe", means "Maybe"
A variant 3: "No", means "No"

You forgot variant 3c: Where "Maybe" means "I'm fucking your boss but quite fancy having money spent on me and someone to treat me nice because he treats me like his hoe, but omigod we're not having sex because it would ruin our platonic friendship were I relate to you all my womanly problems and you nod and sympathise".