A Last Minute Something To Do- TODAY!

Air Raid Siren

Maidens' Vox
Apr 26, 2004
My City Of Angels
www.myspace.com
Sorry to make this so last minute but just in case you are looking for something to do today, I'd like to invite any local folks to my karate organization's annual tournament and exhibition.

49th Annual
Nisei Week Exhibition and Tournament
Caltech
Brown Gymnasium
1200 E. California Blvd.
Pasadena, Ca. 91125
(Free underground parking available just in front of the Brown Gym).

Saturday, August 06, 2005
From 5:00pm
Free Admission...Bring The Family

It's a great way to introduce yourself to the beauty of Shotokan Karate - a very tradional Japanese martial art.
Please feel free to join me there if you're not busy. :Spin:

The Tournament was fun! A few people I knew competed in it - that was a trip, seeing these pretty nice but very tough guys (and women!) go at it! It's not full contact so they only wear hand guards and mouthguards. They're supposed to exercise control in their techniques, but every once in a while someone would get whacked! :eek:

I'm still working on trying to understand the judging and the way they award points because what would work in a real fight is very different - but the guy who won I thought really deserved it. He was an excellent fighter and athlete with great form and skills.

There were also different schools that did kata (forms) and other demonstrations. It was really interesting for me because it puts into perspective just how good my dojo (school) is and how lucky I am to train there. Our senior instructor is of the highest rank you can receive in our style and there are only about 45 guys in the world who have it. I'm learning some great stuff that isn't being taught anywhere else! It's really fun! :headbang:

I'm still working on trying to understand the judging and the way they award points because what would work in a real fight is very different - but the guy who won I thought really deserved it. He was an excellent fighter and athlete with great form and skills.

There were also different schools that did kata (forms) and other demonstrations. It was really interesting for me because it puts into perspective just how good my dojo (school) is and how lucky I am to train there. Our senior instructor is of the highest rank you can receive in our style and there are only about 45 guys in the world who have it. I'm learning some great stuff that isn't being taught anywhere else! It's really fun! :headbang:[/QUOTE]

Aja
That's one of the reasons I got out of the Shindo Kan Karate I started out with. It didn't realy apply to the street untill you made at least black belt.

There was to much focus on form and not enough on real world skills.

It's good to see that there are a few Dojo's out there that can balance form and function.
I really need to get back into Ninpo
Kerry

Kerry said:
Aja
That's one of the reasons I got out of the Shindo Kan Karate I started out with. It didn't realy apply to the street untill you made at least black belt.

There was to much focus on form and not enough on real world skills.

It's good to see that there are a few Dojo's out there that can balance form and function.
I really need to get back into Ninpo
Kerry

Yea, black belt is usually when the real stuff begins, but at my particular dojo (Valley Shotokan ), realistic application as you go along while still maintaining the traditional aspects of our style is the focus. There's still a lot of emphasis on forms but it's more balanced than the more tournament oriented styles.

That's cool that you've studied Shindo Kan Karate and Ninpo, too?:headbang: How long did you train in these styles?

I heard that Master Funakoshi, the founder of my style (Shotokan Karate) and the founder of Shindo Kan had a communal dojo before they branched off and created their respective schools/styles. The founder of SKA, Ohshima Sensei, was one of Master Funakoshi's last and best students. (For those who might be interested - check it out - Shotokan Karate Of America.)

Mr. Ohshima is truly an amazing human being. He's well into his 70's and looks and moves better than guys who are 30 years younger! I was in a class with him a month after he got out of back surgery and you never would've have known it either, the way he moved. He's truly an inspiration.

Air Raid Siren said:
The Tournament was fun! A few people I knew competed in it - that was a trip, seeing these pretty nice but very tough guys (and women!) go at it! It's not full contact so they only wear hand guards and mouthguards. They're supposed to exercise control in their techniques, but every once in a while someone would get whacked! :eek:

There were also different schools that did kata (forms) and other demonstrations. It was really interesting for me because it puts into perspective just how good my dojo (school) is and how lucky I am to train there. Our senior instructor is of the highest rank you can receive in our style and there are only about 45 guys in the world who have it. I'm learning some great stuff that isn't being taught anywhere else! It's really fun! :headbang:

Sounds like you had a great time, girl!! :)

Air Raid Siren said:
Yea, black belt is usually when the real stuff begins, but at my particular dojo (Valley Shotokan ), realistic application as you go along while still maintaining the traditional aspects of our style is the focus. There's still a lot of emphasis on forms but it's more balanced than the more tournament oriented styles.

That's cool that you've studied Shindo Kan Karate and Ninpo, too?:headbang: How long did you train in these styles?

I heard that Master Funakoshi, the founder of my style (Shotokan Karate) and the founder of Shindo Kan had a communal dojo before they branched off and created their respective schools/styles. The founder of SKA, Ohshima Sensei, was one of Master Funakoshi's last and best students. (For those who might be interested - check it out - Shotokan Karate Of America.)

Mr. Ohshima is truly an amazing human being. He's well into his 70's and looks and moves better than guys who are 30 years younger! I was in a class with him a month after he got out of back surgery and you never would've have known it either, the way he moved. He's truly an inspiration.

I Trained in Shindo Kan Karate for about two years when I was 13 or 14 then went on to Ninpo when I was 19 and stuck with it till I was 25 or so. My Xwife had a major problem with me going up to train every weekend so after a while I was forced to quit then she found something else to complain about. I think a eight year break is long enough. time to get my fat butt back in shape and getting my butt kicked by the instructor.

I had more then one Sensei that was like Mr. Ohshima. We trained very traditionaly with no keia's (sp?) no noise, no complaints. you just did it a liked it. When we would train full speed look out someone is going to get hurt. I came home more then once worse off then any fight I'd ever been in.
Gotta love it.
Kerry

Kerry said:
I Trained in Shindo Kan Karate for about two years when I was 13 or 14
I understand why you quit, if it was very form oriented! I think kata is better appreciated when you're a little older. Boys want to dive right in and tussle, lol! No fear filters! :headbang:
But I find kata quite beautiful.

Kerry said:
We trained very traditionaly with no keia's (sp?) no noise, no complaints. you just did it a liked it. When we would train full speed look out someone is going to get hurt. I came home more then once worse off then any fight I'd ever been in.
Gotta love it.
Kerry
I've gotten injured some but not ridiculously so. It's a good way to learn fast, hahaha! We kiai both out loud and internally (same feeling, but no noise). Is a stealthlike quality emphasized in Ninpo (it's a blend of ninjitsu and jujitsu, ya?) Do you train with weapons?

Mr. Ohshima is kind of a legendary figure in the martial arts world from what I understand. Back in the day, when my senpai, Chris, was training with Mr. Ohshima, they say practices were a pretty brutal blood on the floor type thing! Sounds like what you're describing. Ai yi yi, these guys didn't kid around! It could be big fish stories, but I really don't think so. I've met and trained a little with some of the first generation karate guys and they're pretty tough!

Air Raid Siren said:
I understand why you quit, if it was very form oriented! I think kata is better appreciated when you're a little older. Boys want to dive right in and tussle, lol! No fear filters! :headbang:
But I find kata quite beautiful.

I've gotten injured some but not ridiculously so. It's a good way to learn fast, hahaha! We kiai both out loud and internally (same feeling, but no noise). Is a stealthlike quality emphasized in Ninpo (it's a blend of ninjitsu and jujitsu, ya?) Do you train with weapons?

Mr. Ohshima is kind of a legendary figure in the martial arts world from what I understand. Back in the day, when my senpai, Chris, was training with Mr. Ohshima, they say practices were a pretty brutal blood on the floor type thing! Sounds like what you're describing. Ai yi yi, these guys didn't kid around! It could be big fish stories, but I really don't think so. I've met and trained a little with some of the first generation karate guys and they're pretty tough!

The way Ninpo was explained to me is that Ninjutsu is the Martial art you are learning Ninpo is the art along with the lifestyle, attitude, devotion, dedication, it takes to become a master. So Ninpo teaches Ninjutsu along with the correct attitude, i.e. hot heads or Van Dam wannabes need not apply.
Yeah the Karate class come to find out was geared more toward competition and tournaments which is fine but not for me. I wanted to learn how to from getting my butt kicked at school (grew up on a hard side of town) then I found Ninpo and from everything that I read it was the art for me. It's not rigid in form or technique. It is a very versatile art that allows for adaptation to the situation. And what is a real world fight? It's not a choreographed dance it's a bunch of random actions and reactions. Ands this is what I wanted to learn how to defend against. But the funny thing is before I got into Ninpo I was always getting into fights and after I was into training I never got into fights. I was never confronted well except for my older brother that was trying to flex his muscle well he got a little more then he bargained for.

As for training Well there was blood on the floor a few time but not to often. We just got the total crap kicked out of us and got to do some crap kicking our selves.
But it was very controlled and a lot of caution was used. I guess you could say that the senor student (the instructor in this case) trained us as close to real world as possible but only after we learned the wasa's at a very slow and very animated speed. I mean you just can't throw someone in a ring with a gorilla and expect him (or her) to survive. They need to at least learn the basics and get confident with the moves first.
It was a lot of fun I just wished I lived closer to Oxnard so I could train with the Shinobu dojo's Sensei. Oh well But there is a class in Orange county I'm going to hook up with. And I was reminded yesterday by Gabriel Sensei of shinobu dojo that it's not art the you learn but who teaches you the art

Kerry

Doodoobubbachuck said:
That would be fun to see you in tournament! Woohoo! Go Aja! Gotta let me know if that's happening anytime soon. :worship:
Since it's primarily black belts who compete, I have at least another year before I need to even think about it. :loco: Though I don't train for competition reasons, it might be something to consider, if my sempai thinks I'm ready.....it would be a challenge, that's for sure!

Kerry said:
The way Ninpo was explained to me is that Ninjutsu is the Martial art you are learning Ninpo is the art along with the lifestyle, attitude, devotion, dedication, it takes to become a master. So Ninpo teaches Ninjutsu along with the correct attitude, i.e. hot heads or Van Dam wannabes need not apply.
Yeah the Karate class come to find out was geared more toward competition and tournaments which is fine but not for me. I wanted to learn how to from getting my butt kicked at school (grew up on a hard side of town) then I found Ninpo and from everything that I read it was the art for me. It's not rigid in form or technique. It is a very versatile art that allows for adaptation to the situation. And what is a real world fight? It's not a choreographed dance it's a bunch of random actions and reactions. Ands this is what I wanted to learn how to defend against. But the funny thing is before I got into Ninpo I was always getting into fights and after I was into training I never got into fights. I was never confronted well except for my older brother that was trying to flex his muscle well he got a little more then he bargained for.

As for training Well there was blood on the floor a few time but not to often. We just got the total crap kicked out of us and got to do some crap kicking our selves.
But it was very controlled and a lot of caution was used. I guess you could say that the senor student (the instructor in this case) trained us as close to real world as possible but only after we learned the wasa's at a very slow and very animated speed. I mean you just can't throw someone in a ring with a gorilla and expect him (or her) to survive. They need to at least learn the basics and get confident with the moves first.
It was a lot of fun I just wished I lived closer to Oxnard so I could train with the Shinobu dojo's Sensei. Oh well But there is a class in Orange county I'm going to hook up with. And I was reminded yesterday by Gabriel Sensei of shinobu dojo that it's not art the you learn but who teaches you the art

Yes, who is passing on the art is the key. Even though there are many fine instructors, there are those few gifted ones who seem to have a deeper understanding and a talent for teaching that makes all the difference in the world. For me the balance between the physical aspect and the mental is what I look for in an instructor. It's so much deeper than kick here, punch there. Ninpo sounds fascinating and I hope you find a dojo and an instructor you're happy with.

I know what you mean about the more you train, the less conflict seems to be a part of your life. There's a certain confidence of self that comes about with training and I think those who are looking for mental or physical victims can sense this and they move on. Conflict seems to become less and less a part of my life, the deeper I go into this beautiful art. And I know at this stage of my development, I'm barely scratching the surface. There's so much more to it than I may ever know! But I'm enjoying the journey ( at least most of the time, lol!)

Real world fights are pretty different from matches, one being there are no rules!!!! But I do see the value in learning the forms. In our style, in order to take the test for Shodan (1st degree black belt) you have to do at least 5000 of the brown belt form by the time you grade. That's a lotta kata! :p But I do believe forms deepen your understanding of the meaning of the moves. It's like a musician learning scales, in order to improve their ability to solo. The scales aren't the music but they do force you to discipline your mind and they're the building blocks that lead the way to that freedom of self expression.

Learning kata is like learning scales. Never thought of it that way but it's true. You are not learning the forms to be stuck in that form, it's a foundation to build from just the same as a scale is only the foundation to build a solo from. I never really thought of it that way.

And very true with the street fight having no rules tthat was at the time why I had chosen Ninpo. When talking to instructors and Senseis I was informed that Ninpo is not allowed in any martial arts tournaments due to the things that are tought to the students. But realisticly Ninpo should not be performed in a tournament because Ninpo was not designed to be like a boxing match or a karate tournament where there is a sustained conflict. We were tought to do enough to the teke to get out of the conflict and get away. Because the last thing I want to do is get in a fight and trade punches with someone.
Kerry

Kerry said:
Learning kata is like learning scales. Never thought of it that way but it's true. You are not learning the forms to be stuck in that form, it's a foundation to build from just the same as a scale is only the foundation to build a solo from. I never really thought of it that way.
It does make more sense when you think of it that way, doesn't it? The American mindset is one that questions and asks why, as our culture doesn't so easily accept, "That's just the way it's done because it's the way it's always been done" and is content to leave it at that.

Master Funakoshi, the father of modern day karate, said, "Karate is life". This is so true. But for us artist types I'd like to add what a very wise person said to me once (when I first started training), "Music is karate". This is also very true - musicians are warriors, too, wouldn't you agree?

And being of the mind set I am, I not only ask why? but I also need to know the how of it all too. I need to know how something works. I've surprised more people when I buy a gizmo that's a bit expensive. First thing I do when I get home is completly disassemble it, figure it out, Possibly modify it, to make it louder fast better what ever, and put it back together. Same with the MArtial arts I wanted to know the why and the how. Buggs the hell out of me sometimes.
Kerry

Air Raid Siren said:
Master Funakoshi, the father of modern day karate, said, "Karate is life". This is so true. But for us artist types I'd like to add what a very wise person said to me once (when I first started training), "Music is karate". This is also very true - musicians are warriors, too, wouldn't you agree?

Yes, and musician soldiers are my absolute favorite people in the world.

I heard a Navy Seal discribe a fire fight as Music.
"The CAR 15's are the lead and rhythm guitars firing off insainly fast melodies and harmonies.
The 60 gunner is on bass keeping the bottom end under controll and the LT was on the radio calling in air strikes well he's on lead vocal's It's a hell of a show!! We knocked them out and left them dead in the aisle."

Worrior poets no doubt about it.
Kerry

Kerry said:
And being of the mind set I am, I not only ask why? but I also need to know the how of it all too. I need to know how something works. Same with the MArtial arts I wanted to know the why and the how. Buggs the hell out of me sometimes.
Kerry

Our style was developed secretly because the people were forbidden to have weapons by law so they had to practice secretly, at night, in the dark. As a result the way in which it's been passed down is intentionally rather vague. But that's what makes it so fascinating to me. It's very fluid, like music!

"Karate is life, music is karate....grasshopper!" ;)

Oh Ninpo is basicaly the same way, Although Master Hatsumi's schools are more main stream, They still don't teach you everthing untill you make it into the inner circle of poeple that they trust.

Ninpo started the same way aroun the eighth century in Japan. everything was ruled by the Shogun and the Samuria clan. It was a bit corrupt with the power trip some of the war lourds were on. so a rebelion starts and Ninpo is born. All training was done in secret. Same thing only Samuria were alowed to carrie swords or other wepons.

I just finished the song and dance with the school in Irvine But I still need to meet with the Sensei next weekend. I've notice this with a lot of the more traditional arts. They pick and choose who they invite to train with them. They're not in it for the money. they want to stay true to the tradition.
Kerry