a little advice on some guitars here please

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
I have this band I recorded, it's death metal with a huge deicide influence. For the guitar tracks I made the (only) guitarist record two tracks but with different setups (well almost the same setups) the two tracks signal chains are these:

1. LTD Explorer with EMG 81 pickup (bridge pickup only) >> electro-harmonix metal muff >> peavy valveking head >> Peavey XXX cab (4x12) >> Shure SM57 >> Nady SRM-10x mixing board >> Lexicon Alpha interfase

2. LTD Explorer with EMG 81 pickup (bridge pickup only)>> peavy valveking head (distorsion channel on) >> Peavey XXX cab (4x12) >> Shure SM57 >> Nady SRM-10x mixing board >> Lexicon Alpha interfase

As you see the only difference between these two tracks would be track 1 is recorded using the distorsion of the metal muff and the head on clean channel, and the second track has the metal muff totally removed from the chain and uses the distorsion channel of the valveking. I was planning on making the guy record at least two tracks with the muff and one with the amp distorsion, but he isn't that tight of a guitar player, he had enough trouble recording those two tracks, and we wanted to have both sounds so I could experiment in the mix a bit.

Both sounds are pretty similar, we aimed for a "buzzy" kind of guitar tone reminiscent of old Deicide albums and some swedish death bands, the difference is that the peavey distorsion sounds a bit more bassy, less mids but also a bit more muddy IMO, the muff sounds a bit thinner but clearer. Personally I prefer the muff sound, but I would like to hear opinions.

My question is: what would you do with the two tracks? blend them both into one single track and then duplicate the track and pan them hl/hr? not blend them but instead just put one guitar hl and the other hr? choose one of the two and simply duplicate that one and cut off the blending/double-tracking bullshit?

Oh and another issue, the track 2 of one of the songs is fucked up,some part of it was somehow lost and uncovered was a flawed recording of it, about 1 minute of the song on that track is pretty much useless, so I guess for that song I'll just use the muff sound, but for the others I would still like to be able to use both tracks if possible. It's a four song demo btw, not super fancy album or anything, just a homemade demo. Re-recording is not an option right now because we used borrowed gear, a rerecording of these and more songs might be done in a couple of months when better gear arrives (and my recording/mixing experience and knowledge gets better thanks to you guys)

here are some samples:
Guitar with Metal Muff distorsion
Guitar with valveking distorsion

Well, you don't really have much of a choice. If you only have two takes you're going to have to use both and pan them L and R. Unless you want rhythm guitar in the center for some reason, which I doubt you do.

You can't duplicate a track and then pan it, all that accomplishes is centering the take.

In my opinion, you should pick which ever distortion you like the best and have the guitar player come in and double that.

I loaded both tracks into Reaper and panned them hard left and right and althought they both sound totally different, I liked using both together somehow. The reason might be that the amp sound is pretty low-middy while the muff-sound is pretty scooped in the mids.
If you want or can use only one of the two takes, you could fake-doubling them by putting a stereo delay with no feedback and a 20-40 ms delay on the one guitar track to "simulate" double-tracking. Better than having to use a bad take...

I loaded both tracks into Reaper and panned them hard left and right and althought they both sound totally different, I liked using both together somehow. The reason might be that the amp sound is pretty low-middy while the muff-sound is pretty scooped in the mids.
If you want or can use only one of the two takes, you could fake-doubling them by putting a stereo delay with no feedback and a 20-40 ms delay on the one guitar track to "simulate" double-tracking. Better than having to use a bad take...

thanks for the tip, I'll first try out using both tracks, if not I'll do the fake doubling thing. But yeah as you say both tracks sound different but seem to compliment each other. Thanks