A meeting with Anthrax

Edward Yawn

New Metal Member
Sep 14, 2005
Under your bed
Back in the summer of 2003 I met the members of Anthrax at a CD store in Frankfurt, Germany. They were there for an autograph session on the day of a concert. A concert at a venue that happened to be five minutes away from where I used to live at the time.

Having previously been to a Blind Guardian autograph session at the same CD store, where the cue of people waiting outside the store was almost a quarter of a mile long, I was surprised to see that almost no one had showed up to meet Anthrax. There were only a handful of people there. I guess Anthrax is not that popular in Frankfurt.

I got some CDs signed and asked them a few questions. I asked Scott Ian if they were going to play Metal Thrashing Mad that night and he just said "maybe". :) He also told me that the year Anthrax was on an episode of Married With Children was 1992. The reason I wanted to know that was because back in 2003 Married With Children was being released on DVD as boxsets, starting with series 1 so I wanted to find out when the episode with Anthrax would end up on DVD.

John Bush seemed like a really nice guy. He even wanted to sign the Belladonna era Anthrax CDs, heh. They were all standing next to eachother signing CDs and when it was his turn to sign my CDs, I didn't say anything and I just smiled and he said: "I'll sign anything you want." :)

I spent some 15 minutes chatting with Frank Bello, asking him about his bass guitars (which he gets for free from Fender, by the way) and the possibility of the individual albums being remastered. I also asked him if the old albums would be remixed and he replied: "I don't know about remixed, that's too involved". I guess "involved" means "complicated" in this case. By the time I shook hands with Bello the others were already on their way out so there was no time for a chat with Benante and Caggiano.

Anyways, it was interesting to meet the members of Anthrax. Too bad I never made it to the concert that night.