A Metallica interview with an ominous warning...

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
METALLICA frontman James Hetfield has spoken to The New Zealand Herald about his current relationship with former METALLICA guitarist Dave Mustaine (MEGADETH), the recent reformations of some of the thrash metal genre's pioneering bands, and METALLICA's next studio album.

The following are some of the highlights of the interview:

On his current relationship with Dave Mustaine:

James Hetfield: "It's alright. . ." Asked if they keep in contact, James says, "Well, you know, we share struggles, trying to stay clear and present, we don't really communicate much, we're doing a lot of communicating within the four of us, in the band... I wasn't around when he (Mustaine) was there [for the filming of the 'Some Kind of Monsters' documentary], I was doing my own soul searching."

On old thrash bands like EXODUS, NUCLEAR ASSAULT and DEATH ANGEL reforming and touring:

James Hetfield: "Great. Kirk was in EXODUS, and ahh, they've gone though some tough stuff too, their original singer died, and those other bands, they were all around when we were growing up, and starting. . . I mean, it's great, if they want to do it, why not... I mean if it feels right, if it feels good, some bands have survived, and some bands needed to go away and then come back when metal got, kinda together again."

On a possible follow-up to "St. Anger":

James Hetfield: "Well we've got a lot of songs that we didn't use on 'St Anger', maybe about 18 songs. They might see the light of day somewhere, we might kind of revamp some of them, but there's no lack of new stuff coming. Every time we go in the 'Tuning and Attitude' room, there's something new [coming out of us]."

EIGHTEEN MORE SONGS? NO.

What was the last metal album you bought, actually paid for?

Metal... hmmm what do I consider metal... Mars Volta... that's not really metal, Queens of the Stone Age...

You mean you don’t really follow the heavier bands?

You mean like death metal?

Well yeah, there's a broad range of bands doing things these days that get called metal, I mean the heavier stuff Well like Hatebreed...

Obviously Hetfield's drinking has effected his brain. He sounds pretty incoherent. Doesn't even know what METAL is anymore. Hey James! Look at your band name. The first two syllables say "METAL". Get back with the program, dude.

Come on, leave the guy alone, he just got off a plane from wherever it took off from - he was probably jetlagged.

I'm seeing them on Monday night. I'm expecting a good show.

hahah, yeah I couldn't care less if he's not up with the latest metal acts or whatever. He doesn't want to, so why should he? He's not trying to make a metal image.

How many of the older metal stars actually talk about listening to current metal anyway? Whenever they're interviewed about music they rarely talk about the decent metal bands.

sort of related, sort of not:

I like the way Lars is about talking about his likes when it comes to music. He doesn't give a toss what sort of imagine he 'should' be projecting or whatever, he just says what he likes. Back in 96 when he said he hadn't heard any decent shit coming out of the hard rock genre for a long time (apart from COC and Alice in Chains or something) he copped a lot of flack, because he also said he was really into Oasis. And now he'll admit to liking Limp Biskit, and Sigur Ros and all different shit that he actually likes.

I just like that :D

Sigur Ros are stunning. They seriously paint you a musical landscape.

Check out the Brackets album if you can (The one that's all white no title, no songtitles and the bracket holes on the cover)

Blitzkrieg said:
I agree with Spiffoo, even if the guy doesn't listen to metal anymore, and is out of touch with the current scene, they will still put on one of the best metal shows ever, or I will eat my hat.
Better pull out the fork and knife, buddy...:D

Nah, couple of friends of mine went to see Metallica last Summer(i didn't want to go..Linkin Park? Deftones? Limp Bizkit? Nooo sir...), and they STILL rant and rave about how godly their performance was, how awesome of an experiance it was. If anything they say is at all true, you're in for one hell of a show.