A Public Apology to Daylight Dies

Vex Loser

Negative Vibe Merchant
Jul 12, 2004
Somewhere in Texas
www.vexhomepage.com
Aye chaps, I just wanted to apologize on behalf of the city of San Antonio for what transpired at last night's show. Here's how it went down:

All the flyers for the show had 8pm listed as the time that the doors would open, so with one local support band, I figured that if I get there at 9 I'll be able to see the tail end of the local support and then full sets from Candlemass and Daylight Dies. This is a brand new venue, so unfortunately we got a bit lost and ended up arriving about 30 minutes later than planned. At this point I'm thinking that I've only missed the first few songs of Daylight Dies, but instead I see that Candlemass is starting their set, at 9:30. Basically the whole show had to end at 11 so a local nu metal/alternative cover band called "Strippers Lie" could headline. Now, Candlemass was goddamned incredible, don't get me wrong - I'm just extra peeved that I had to miss Daylight Dies just so a couple of pricks can get onstage and play some Weezer and Rage Against the Machine covers.

The reason I wanted to apologize to the band is that this is precisely what happened last time they came through with Katatonia and Moonspell. My band Vex was the local support; we were thrilled and honored to play with so many excellent bands. The venue was packed and everything seemed to be going well until we learn that all the sets had to be cut short because the venue had also booked a couple of ska bands that night. These are the only two times I've ever seen this happen here and I don't know why Daylight Dies had to suffer through it both times. And of course, to make matters worse, there really wasn't any advertising for this show so the attendance was embarrassing for such a quality lineup. You guys deserve far better than that and for what it's worth, I apologize for the unprofessional and greedy practices of our local booking agents.

Sounds pretty fucked up for sure.

When I saw the Katatonia tour last year, I talked with Per Nilsson from Scar Symmetry. He told my friend and I that he did not like the locals playing on the same show. He said that in Sweden they do not do this, that the locals have their on shows. I think that it is ok to have maybe one or even two local bands opening up I guess. It depends how many bands are on the main bill. I hate sitting through 3 local bands like I did on the first show of this Daylight Dies tour. I have only seen two or three decent local bands though, which is sad.

I totally agree - I think one local should be the maximum for every tour but promoters like to get greedy by having four bands buy hundres of tickets to get on the bill. Luckily it was only us opening the Katatonia/Moonspell/Daylight Dies tour and we just played our 25 minutes and got the hell off of there.
But of course, this last show with Candlemass was a whole different matter because there were two locals before the touring lineup and one after it must've played for about two hours! It really was embarassing...

you think that's bad? at the hollywood show the dumbasses @ M Productions booked 7 local bands to open up the show and cut Daylight Dies setlist to 25 minutes!
I was so pissed b/c it's not the first time M Productions has done this but that was without a doubt the most fucked up shit they've done so far.

you think that's bad? at the hollywood show the dumbasses @ M Productions booked 7 local bands to open up the show and cut Daylight Dies setlist to 25 minutes!
I was so pissed b/c it's not the first time M Productions has done this but that was without a doubt the most fucked up shit they've done so far.

Ha, yeah, that is almost worse.

Shit, I hope this was a one-off thing. A bunch of local shit bands opening and Daylight Dies only getting to play for under a half hour is utter shit.
I hope the rest of the tour is going awesome for them. I know from previous posts, they hate Florida though, so I might have to travel to see one of my favorite bands.

Yea, in Mokena, IL there were 3 local openers.

The silly thing is that only one of them was even (barely) advertised online before the show.

So, people came to the show, hoping only to see one local band, and then had to sit through three.

If you are going to do this, advertise it.
Make no mystery about when bands will perform.

Furthermore, local bands serve a purpose in bringing in a crowd that might not had come otherwise. Therefore, if you are going to book em, might as well advertise them.

Also, this leaves people the option of coming late w/o missing anything.