A question about interviews...and some advice..

I do just about all interviews by phone (but the new 'band profiles' are done by email...)...

I have a mini-recorder (plays and records on answering machine tapes) attached to the phone that records it.

Transcribing is a pain in the ass, a case of 'play *type* pause *rewind* whaddihesay?'...

As for phone bills... cheapie international calling cards found in immigrant-owned immigrant-patronized convenience stores...

I did 2 interviews a few years ago - used "speaker phone" and a shitty tape recorder and it worked out okay (although it ate the tape half way thru my second interview - but it was mostly salvageable. Lost the best part of my Udo interview though, where he went on a rant about there being too damned many bands. Was funny as Hell and it got eaten.)

Anyway, it truly sucks to transcribe them - especially due to accents and name dropping people I never heard of (some o' them names are impossible to spell).

Thus I shall never do another.

Raggi has the fortitude of a god (a minor god from a long forgotten pantheon - but still... far better than most mortal men)