A Question for Glenn

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Glenn,

I noticed on the Perpetual Motion board that you responded to the thread regarding the Dimmu/Nevermore tour, when someone inquired as to whose headlining. Since I think you would have a different perspective on this than most, who do you think are the five biggest bands in Europe, in terms of drawing power, and who are the five biggest bands in the states, also in terms of drawing power? Feel free to exclude 80s bands like Maiden and Manowar. I'm more interested in what bands are drawing without the benefit of being born in Metal's commercial hey day. Thanks.

GZ

P.S. - by the way, without giving up the band's name, what's the craziest thing you've ever seen in a rider?

That is not an easy question. I have no solid attendance figures to go by, just venue sizes. Also, when you say "Europe," you are referring to a very fragmented area in terms of band popularity. Some bands draw mega-crowds in Germany and only a handful elsewhere. Also, my knowledge of black/death metal band popularity over there is limited so my guesses are not truly educated.

I'll take a shot and be happy to hear from the Europeans that can tell me otherwise.

1. Dream Theater
2. Blind Guardian
3. Iced Earth
4. Gamma Ray/Stratovarius
5. Nightwish/Savatage
6. In Flames/Dimmu B.

As for the States, that is an even harder question as there are few true touring bands here. When they do tour, they end up playing the same size venues.

1. Dream Theater (by a huge margin)
2. In Flames
3. Iced Earth
4. Dimmu B.
5. Savatage

Glenn H.

Thanks.

I probably could have phrased my question better. What I was really asking, and I'm guessing it wouldn't change your answer much, was to compare and contrast the U.S. and non-U.S. markets. I was curious to learn if there is much of a difference between who we Yanks want to see and who our overseas brethren want to see.

GZ

not to throw 2 cents in when not needed, but I really don't think it's who we yanks want to see, but what certain yanks THINK us other yanks want to see. Did I lose you yet?

example.. Iced Earth / In flames tour... didn't come anywhere near covering the entire US. The tour didn't even come close to Florida. SOMEONE must be saying that there's no metal market in the south.

example #2 Motorhead / Anthrax... where were the southern dates?

example #3 Iron Maiden... no southern dates.

Although, after PPIV I do get to see Type O Negative & Lacuna Coil a couple days after I get back.

What Florida needs is an edgey radio station that will play other bands besides Limp Bizkit and Good Charlotte.

Very interesting thread...
Being a Brazilian living in the US, I think I have enought knowledge to compare both scenes...

The main thing about the Brazil is that it's a third world country. That is, people don't have much money to spend on entertainment.
That being said, record sales in Brazil isn't as good as it could be. There is a very large audience, but they can't afford buying much more than 1 or 2 albums a month.
In the US, even though the scene is considerably smaller, I'd guess record sales are better in actual numbers.

But when it comes to shows, it's a whole different story. A concert is an one time opportunity, so people will find a way to attend it. I mean, they will sell their souls to go to a show.
In the other hand, it's mad expencive to bring a band down there. Plane tickets are around 1000 bucks from europe and 500 from the US. The brazilian currency is worth around 3 dollars.... So it is 3 times more expensive to the promoter... And all other expenses are also in dollar, as the visas, etc...
You got to have some balls to be a promoter in Brazil.. LOL You need at least 2000 people in the audience to break even (in a major metal show as Helloween, etc.. Not death metal bands)

The necessity for a large audience makes it really hard to tour Brazil.. I mean, I only promoters in large cities risk it... All shows are basically in Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Porto Alegre and Curitiba.. Every now and then another city is added to the tour, but it's rare.

I don't think there is a city in the world with a larger scene than Sao Paulo... Helloween alone sold out one night (7000) and played an extra show for over 3000)... Nightwish sold out as well, in the same venue (7000), Stratovarius, Savatage, Edguy also get over 5000 people....

Angra/Shaman are pratically mainstream. They tour the whole country, they are on TV all the time (including Talk shows and such), they are on Soap Opera soundtracks and the whole nine yards... Andre Matos is even dating a MTV VJ! LOL I swear to god....

In Brazil I'd say:

1. Angra/Shaman
2.Sepultura
3. Helloween/Nigthwish/Dream Theater (even though they don't tour brazil since falling into infinity)
4. Blind Guardian
5 Stratovarius/Savatage

Gamma Ray, Edguy, Children of Bodom and a couple other also have some pretty decent folowing...