A question for swedish people...

ron

New Metal Member
Feb 17, 2002
Visit site
i've checked a review of the new meshuggah album and the reviewer wrote :
"History has borne out that Sweden has one of the most prolific music scenes out there (helped, in no small part, by governmental support of musicians and other artists – can you imagine how many good bands the US might launch if Uncle Sam subsidized six-stringers?). " (http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/showreview.aspx?reviewID=89)

is this true that swedish gov help artists??

I am not Swedish, but I can answer your question. The Swedish government does help artists. I remember a few people posting something about it here a while back. I think the government encourages them to start playing an instrument early and allows them to play in small restaurants, clubs, etc. to get practice. Someone else can probably give you specifics, but to answer your questions yes the Swedish government does help. :D

Yupp, in Sweden "musicschools" are for free.
After normal school you can get a couple of
hours a week of practise with a teacher on
any instrument you like.... It's a really good
idea, and it works :eek:)

Well, Sweden is a welfare state just as Finland. Something americans will never be able to create. Go fuck your "American Dream".

How much money can a Swede qualify for, if he / she is a musician? I disagree with Dreamlord- I am an american- and it really sucks that one has to pay alot of money for lessons- and one has no support net to start out- as these Swedes do.
Yet, not for one moment do I think that we americans will change in anyway in supporting art music etc. We will soon run the risk of being a totally elitist society- as college expenses for the better schools are skyrocketing- most over 30,000 dollars- and public colleges (even the big state schools like Ohio State), have doubled tuition from just three years ago. I personally will barely be able to make it through my last two years of law school- as i will be in huge debt paying for the next 2 years.
SO, anyway Dreamlord - what i am saying is that these swedes have the right idea- school is free- art and culture are supported - and thus the quality of life in sweden is far better. Ive been to Stockholm- and I was and am still shocked by how many swedes speak better english than i, and by how well educated every swede seems to be- and hell it seemed like no one was working either- what a life is what I say.

Yes, europeans are much more relaxed than Americans. They have many more holidays than Americans, which I envy.

However, I don't think the quality of life is any better in Europe than America.

I would prefer to move to Australia

@speed- the person I responded to was Finnish, not Swedish. :rolleyes:

I see American society in some ways as an sick place to live in, but who's to blame? It's just too big to function properly or for anyone to control - the thing has gotten out of hand.

speed does indeed speak from experience, but what's worrying is that Finland and I guess Europe is slowly getting like that as well. Fuck "individualism".

Originally posted by Dreamlord
However, I don't think the quality of life is any better in Europe than America.

Of course, it's hard to see from here. We all are wealthy enough to pay for an internet service, but when you go below that line you'd begin to see drastic differences.

Welfare state is realizing that we can't always trust on people to take care of them who are in need, so a safety-net kind of system is inevitable.

Vortex- I have no problem with individualism- and neither does American society- American socitey is based on capitalism and corporations- not individualism- trust me on this. Every law is written and construed to favor corporations- not individuals- there are only a few rare and very big personal injury cases against corporations, that make it to a jury trial. And all the laws written by congress have business in mind- not individuals. Furthermore, American society is by no means that individualistic- we say we are- but in reality we are no different from any diverse country.
Yet say what you want- greed has done alot for America- maybe Europe if it wants to raise it's power profile- Europe would be wise to become as greedy as us americans.

Originally posted by speed
Vortex- I have no problem with individualism- and neither does American society- American socitey is based on capitalism and corporations- not individualism- trust me on this. Every law is written and construed to favor corporations- not individuals- there are only a few rare and very big personal injury cases against corporations, that make it to a jury trial. And all the laws written by congress have business in mind- not individuals. Furthermore, American society is by no means that individualistic- we say we are- but in reality we are no different from any diverse country.
Yet say what you want- greed has done alot for America- maybe Europe if it wants to raise it's power profile- Europe would be wise to become as greedy as us americans.

I guess I made a rough generalization. By individualism I meant anything that favors the wealthy and gives little value to generosity. I know your points are all valid, but to an outsider the picture America is giving out to the rest of the world is a bit twisted. As you said, "we say we are"... I don't agree on the greed part..it's depending on your view of what is good...

Anyway, I have no animosity towards you Americans, how could I when I barely know any, just the image.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Yes, europeans are much more relaxed than Americans. They have many more holidays than Americans, which I envy.

I would prefer to move to Australia

@speed- the person I responded to was Finnish, not Swedish. :rolleyes:

Now why the hell would you want to live here? I got dragged down to this shithole excuse for a fucking wasteland by my parents and have wasted 8 years of my life here. I am moving back to Europe as soon as I can.

DO NOT make the mistake of coming here. If we're lucky enough some of the world powers will just launch some nukes and bury this hole.

maybe australia is cool, but i guess there are not many metal bands who want to play some concerts in australia ...

Originally posted by Moonlapse

Now why the hell would you want to live here? I got dragged down to this shithole excuse for a fucking wasteland by my parents and have wasted 8 years of my life here. I am moving back to Europe as soon as I can.

DO NOT make the mistake of coming here. If we're lucky enough some of the world powers will just launch some nukes and bury this hole.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.:)