A song I wrote, recorded and mixed

zirkonflex

You name it
Aug 12, 2008
Northern Germany
Its quite safe to say that this is my first serious go at mixing an mastering a song. The song (currently called Deathdrive) settles somewhere between Parkway Drive and Killswitch Engage.

The four guitars are coming out of my ESP Ninja-600 tuned to drop-B (one hell of a guitar), then thru my Native Instruments Session I/O Interface into Revalver, where they have been routed into both a PEAVEY 6505 and MESA Triple Rectifier modules (one on each side) which then utilitze Recabinet (the shit) impulses using the Revalver onboard impulse file loader (two impulses blended).

The Bass basically goes the same way except I used the clean channel of the 6505 module :loco:, and has some issues because I sometimes tend to think iam Alex Webster and then srew up horribly trying to play my parts :D

The Drums are Superior 2.0 using "The Metal Foundry", the MIDI's are just what I found, sometimes completely redone, modified or just left as they where.
I actually programmed the fills myself.

The song idea was basically just the starting riff that had come out spontaneously, the rest was written "on the fly" during recording.

The mix (REAPER) makes hard use of the Trident A Range :)D, so awesome), and some PSP plugins aswell as some Cockos Plugins (ReEQ and stuff).

I recorded/wrote the song in around 90 minutes although I forced myself to play everything quite clean :bah:.
Mixing was like two hours after that and an hour the next day.

I really look forward to what you guys think about it and how you would improve it.

My main concern right now is the overall look of the waveform, it looks as if I was Rick Rubin although it sounds ok to me.

Heres the song (copyright by me :D) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8986797/Songs/Deathdrivefinalbyzirkonflex.mp3

/ Oh guys, the song is in DESPERATE need of vocals ... if you know anyone willing to write some lyrics and growl/scream/sing over it that would be kickass.
I'd upload it on YT when it was finished and give credit to the person.

/ Oh yes, that wierd sound in the beginning is a ring modulator, I guess no one ever used one of these on a guitar :D

Hmm to me it does, might just settle with dropbox though, give me a minute :D

/K its up at Dropbox

Listening thru my monitors im unsatisfied with the basedrum, its also way to loud.

ure guitar sound is fucking perfect and ure riffs are great, the song has an incredible groove running throught every single riff, the only thing i would say is i think maybe ure kick is a bit too wooden sounding, and some cymbals sound very static, other than that its fucking immense

Volume issues going on, maybe the mastercomp?
guitarsound is nice, but I think you could get it to sound really cool, but you'd need to improve the rest of the mix to do so.
everything sounds quite seperated + lacks power^^
but some really nice riffs going on there

edit: just read now that its your "first serious go at mixing an mastering a song", consindering this its quite solid for the beginning!

Thanks everyone, im working on the drumsound right now (especially kick :D).
And yes, there is actually some problems with the mastercompressor, you have a good ear :D.
Ill also try to get everything a little bit more together.
On interesting fact might be that the guitars have NO effects (not even EQ) on them right now, so theres a lot that can still be done in that direction.

I finally decided to route the single drum instruments thru my DAW on single tracks and it really pays of as I can now use great compressors and EQ's on the seperate instrument tracks.
Everything already sounds a lot smoother, I think I can show some new stuff in about an hour or two.

/Oh, two more things.

1. I still have some more stuff (mostly straight oldschool Deathmetal) two show if anyone cares.
2. I could render all the single tracks (aswell as single drums instruments now) so you guys can have a go at mixing too.
Ill see about that if theres interest.

2. I could render all the single tracks (aswell as single drums instruments now) so you guys can have a go at mixing too.
Ill see about that if theres interest.

yeah totally, but include the DI's AND the rendered guitars if you do it.
For me Midi for the drums would be perfect

Im sorry, but I don't have DI tracks for this one because I recorded it the "natural" way (running the signal out of the standalone Revalver into the line of my PC), but on my future projects I will change that.

/I can supply you guys with both drums and MIDI though.

Im sorry, but I don't have DI tracks for this one because I recorded it the "natural" way (running the signal out of the standalone Revalver into the line of my PC), but on my future projects I will change that.

/I can supply you guys with both drums and MIDI though.

no prob, also guitars and midi drums are good