A Sound of Thunder made it to CNN

Okay. I've known Bob for years. I used to get pissed at him all the time (bordering on intense dislike initially), but over the years I've learned to understand the guy.

I honestly think Bob's getting chewed out unfairly on here. At first he merely made an opinion about using the weight loss article to promote the band. I totally see where he's coming from. It's good you lost weight Nina, but for this to be a way to promote a band just seems weird to me as well. There should be another way to go about it. I don't think what he said was honestly that bad. He's a brutally honest guy, but if you actually reread his initial comment it was in no way malicious, just pointing out that the band shouldn't have been mentioned, while also talking about the sensationalism that journalists get obsessed with sometimes.

He has a right to his opinion, but I think he was unfairly ganged up on for a mild criticism. As a result, he blew up the issue more just like you did. If you're a musician and a voice for a band, you need to be able to take it and understand the point of view of what he said. He also isn't the only one to question why the band was brought up.

I am always brutally honest. Metal music is something I am very passionate about. I am not a person who is jumping into it because it is hip at the moment. Not a slam to anyone who is new to it. It is great there are new fans but you also need to have a good detector to what is good and what isn't. Having been listening to music for 30 plus years you gain a good radar for stuff. I love helping bands out if I can and it is great to see many different types of people getting more involved. Nothing is worse than someone who is just attention starved who join the scene and pull that stuff to. Sure being a girl in the scene is a minority. The Chicago metal scene has tons of girls who are heavily involved. They don't ever bring up the fact that are girls...they just do what they do and are never looked down upon and also never use their body to get something. It is called earning respect on ethics and knowledge. They are treated as equals because they are not crying and looking for attention to get something. They are not embarrassed about their body image. They are happy with who they are. It seems you were not happy with yourself and changed that. As I said before...congrats on that. It is now that you seem to use that as some sort of tool of self promotion and are abrasive about it. Anyone who questions you or doesn't agree with you must have a crush on you. Again...you think it is all about you.

I have seen many people like you and your band come and go. It is just sad that you think this way on a lot of stuff. You bring up the blabbermouth postings where you kept on telling people you pride yourself by not listening to bands that have played in the past 20 years but then say just now that you missed out on Powerfest and you got into metal through Dragonforce. Sure you meant it is as a joke but YOU put that comment out there. There are many who when you posted that cracked on you. It is still quoted now out here by many when we talk about old bands. This is why you have to be careful on what you say. I guess it is being born in the digital age where you feel everything you say or think needs to be published for all to see and read.

Like I said...the only reason I posted in the first place was because you were taking offense from the CNN.com forum and not realizing why.

...you were taking offense from the CNN.com forum and not realizing why.

No, I realized exactly why.

I think what you don't realize is that, as the voice of the band, I brought up my band because that's who I am. If I didn't, it would be stupid. If a huge news station wants to tell my story, why wouldn't I bring up the fact that I'm a musician? If I were a mother, would I not bring up the fact that I'm a mother?

It's difficult to get your band out there. If I didn't take every opportunity to tell people who I am and what we do, we wouldn't get nearly as much publicity as we've gotten within the past few days. If you're curious about why I brought up my band, that's why. It's my job, as the front-man, to make us known.

And it worked! So why bitch about it? Because I did it in an article about how much weight I lost? Come on, now. You know if some dude in a country music band lost a shit ton of weight and CNN talked about it, nobody would care. You guys care, for some reason, and I don't understand the reason.

The point is, I got us on national news for something. That something was losing and keeping weight off, but it was something. We're keeping the people I brought with our music, and that is super cool.

Plus, tomorrow they're gonna practically advertise us for free on the most listened to radio station in the entire Washington DC area.

When was the last time you heard about a heavy metal show on news radio? :headbang:

Scratch that, considering the recent news about GWAR... but still!

That's me with the Painkiller rule of no recent bands, not Nina.

yes...but again she posted it as her own saying it was the rule of the band...thus making a statement that brings "the band" into it and not just her. Lots of people cracked on her for it and again put "your" band in a bad light and now a running gag with people. This is what I meant about social media and constantly having to be saying stuff in public.

I don't see anyone splitting hairs but you. I like mostly old shit. Nina likes old shit and new shit. You are free to twist that and use it to put her down if you want, obviously.

No, I realized exactly why.

I think what you don't realize is that, as the voice of the band, I brought up my band because that's who I am. If I didn't, it would be stupid. If a huge news station wants to tell my story, why wouldn't I bring up the fact that I'm a musician? If I were a mother, would I not bring up the fact that I'm a mother?

It's difficult to get your band out there. If I didn't take every opportunity to tell people who I am and what we do, we wouldn't get nearly as much publicity as we've gotten within the past few days. If you're curious about why I brought up my band, that's why. It's my job, as the front-man, to make us known.

And it worked! So why bitch about it? Because I did it in an article about how much weight I lost? Come on, now. You know if some dude in a country music band lost a shit ton of weight and CNN talked about it, nobody would care. You guys care, for some reason, and I don't understand the reason.

The point is, I got us on national news for something. That something was losing and keeping weight off, but it was something. We're keeping the people I brought with our music, and that is super cool.

Plus, tomorrow they're gonna practically advertise us for free on the most listened to radio station in the entire Washington DC area.

When was the last time you heard about a heavy metal show on news radio? :headbang:

It isnt the job as a front person to constantly talk about the band. If this was a "personal story". It should have stayed about that. It is like those people who come and want to promote something while they are there for something else. It loses all respect. For example...Linda Blair comes to all these comic cons to sign stuff. Sure it is cool to see her. I won't pay for autographs. But every single person who has met her says the same thing about her. That she just promotes her Animal Rescue thing. I am all about that charity but she should not use that as a platform for it. Sure it helps but it also turns people off from wanting to meet her now. They all know if they go up to talk to her about her career they get ignored unless it is about her charity. You will soon be that person who no one will want to deal with because it will only be about your band.

What you are doing isn't helping metal. It is great that they are playing your songs on the radio for a day but in this day and age who listens to the radio and who is going to hear your songs and even know where to buy your music?
This isn't some fantasy movie where you will be heard and Metallica is going to call you to play with them. Literally in the past few days you have turned the band into a circus comedy show with your antics online here sadly. While most people here won't say it publicly but I get a lot of comments from people thanking me for speaking up about this type of behavior.

And also...why don't you answer my question about using your body to sell CD's? You seem to bypass that by just posting pics and making jabs. Do you think you are being taken serious as a musician? Just curious. I can tell you a bunch of harder working musicians that are female would say otherwise.

It isnt the job as a front person to constantly talk about the band. If this was a "personal story". It should have stayed about that.

Heavy metal is my life. If I hadn't mentioned my band, it wouldn't have been a personal story. Half of the reason I've stayed in shape is because of my band, and you think I shouldn't talk about it because....?

Because why, exactly?

I think you just don't like seeing me get ahead, regardless of the hows or whys, and that's kind of sad.

Seriously, what did anyone ever do to you to make you so bitter?

Look at Bob telling the woman how things should be.

I am all about equal opportunity in music. A fair shot for anyone. She is the one who stood behind that book about girls and their place in the metal music scene and then the next day doing the complete opposite.

I work with many bands who have female musicians and I never had any try to get something they wanted or any kind of attention because they are a girl. Even in the selling of the band they don't promote themselves as "female fronted"! They let the music do the talking. Some of the bands you would not even know there are female members. This is how you go about being treated as an equal.

Man, as many times as you've mentioned me using my body, and you wonder why I think you have a crush on me?

It's not like I'm posing in my underwear, dude. I wear jeans and a t-shirt and you still think I'm so hot that I'm using my hot body to sell CDs.

I mean, whatever you say, I'm not one to turn down a compliment!

Heavy metal is my life. If I hadn't mentioned my band, it wouldn't have been a personal story. Half of the reason I've stayed in shape is because of my band, and you think I shouldn't talk about it because....?

Because why, exactly?

I think you just don't like seeing me get ahead, regardless of the hows or whys, and that's kind of sad.

Seriously, what did anyone ever do to you to make you so bitter?

See you say it is your life but you are then trying to sell something. Metal is a HUGE part of my life and there are people I have known for decades who have no clue on what I listen to. It is because it isn't a flag i wave around for attention, it is something that I enjoy and I don't need to to make me who I am.

I am far from bitter. I am just a person who speaks the truth. I know in this day and age that is a scary thing for people. I am usually a straight shooter when it comes to my opinion on stuff.

See you say it is your life but you are then trying to sell something.

Yes. I am trying to sell something. Because I'M IN A BAND and it's part of the triad of important things to me:

1. Husband
2. Band
3. Health

Do you not know how being a musician works?

Why wouldn't you share the biggest part of your life with your friends?

None of your argument makes any sense. You're angry because I mentioned my band in an article about my life? Bwaaaa?

Man, as many times as you've mentioned me using my body, and you wonder why I think you have a crush on me?

It's not like I'm posing in my underwear, dude. I wear jeans and a t-shirt and you still think I'm so hot that I'm using my hot body to sell CDs.

I mean, whatever you say, I'm not one to turn down a compliment!

I bring it up because you are the Queen of Contradiction. Like ModernWizardry said...you seem to be doing this all for the wrong reasons and are in it for superficial reasons.

I bring it up because you are the Queen of Contradiction. Like ModernWizardry said...you seem to be doing this all for the wrong reasons and are in it for superficial reasons.

I'm the Queen of something, alright!

What superficial reasons would I have to get into heavy metal? Do you think people handed me everything for being cute or something? I'm not even that damn cute!

I think you don't understand that it's possible to love metal and also advertise yourself. I don't love metal any less than you, you know. I've dedicated my life to it and you don't seem to like that for some reason.

You're projecting the wrong reasons onto her, imo. I listen to their stuff and I can tell exactly why she's doing it.