A tad off topic question for Andy.

DIOBOLIC5150

I think I broke something
Jul 18, 2004
Hey Andy,
What was your single most worst experience in the studio? Any funny stories? Ever fried expensive equipment on accident or anything? Just a curious fan looking for a laugh. :p

Andy Sneap said:
spilt coffee into an Amek Mozart desk whilst trying to do a Darth Vader impersonation down the talk back mic once!

"luke..I am yo... AH FUCK!" Thats a good one.

I accidentally stuck the headstock of a vintage Les Paul into the ceiling fan, sending a tuning peg flying across the room and puncturing the grill cloth of a "mint condition" 4x12 cab. :eek: the damage was not repairable. :yell:

Not exactly a mistake in the studio, but it has to do with gear, so it works. I had to rent a bunch of gear for recording and live sound for a band a few years ago. The rental company accidentally sent me all the wrong stuff, including a very small 4 channel mixer instead of a large 8 bus one, an ART tube preamp instead of a focusrite green preamp, and about another 100 similar gear messups(we rented a lot of gear). Everything but the cables and a few mics was wrong. As we were to have the first gig the following day, I tore apart my studio, grabbing every useful piece of gear that I could find, including a very nice old mixer and several racks of nice gear, and loaded it all onto the truck. A month later when we came back from the tour(it was successful, by the way), the correct gear arrived at my door about an hour after i got home. Needless to say, I never rented gear from that company again.

Didn't happen to me, but I still felt really bad for the guy. I had gone through the recording program at a community college, and a friend of mine decided to do the same after I told him how much I learned. So, he asked me to help him mix his final project and I agreed.

The whole week before he kept telling me how unbelievable this band played when he recorded them and how great it sounded, and blah blah blah. I get there and sit down behind the board, he hits play on the ADATs and I start bringing up the faders and there is not only no sound, but there is no signal. After about 20 minutes of trying to find the problem I ask him to tell me his whole process of the recording session. Everything he did was right and I was stumped, so I jokingly said "Maybe you forgot to hit record," and his face turned white and I knew that was what he forgot.

whoa - coffee over an Amek desk ..... that would give me a serious heart attack (our the people at the insurance company ;-) ).

When I started tracking guitars for a demo tape couple years ago I forgot to switch
the impedance switch on my Marshall 25/50 Jubilee Series to 8 Ohm, since at that time I just had a half stack, but we recorded with a rented second 4x12 box.
So my amp still was on 16 ohm but the overall impedance from both speakers where 8 ohms.
Almost half an hour and some takes later I saw my band mates and the engineer waving at me and yelling though the headphones that I should turn around because
something started smoking in the iso booth. So I turned and saw smoke coming out of precious amp.
To my luck my amp was alright and after a few "dude-that-scared-the-fuck-out-off my" beers the recording went on.

DIOBOLIC5150 said:
"luke..I am yo... AH FUCK!" Thats a good one.

I accidentally stuck the headstock of a vintage Les Paul into the ceiling fan, sending a tuning peg flying across the room and puncturing the grill cloth of a "mint condition" 4x12 cab. :eek: the damage was not repairable. :yell:

If Andy sticked to the scene it should have sounded like this:
"Kshhhhh Luke I am your father... NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" :D

Your tuning peg incident is pretty bizarre too though.

2dark said:
When I started tracking guitars for a demo tape couple years ago I forgot to switch
the impedance switch on my Marshall 25/50 Jubilee Series to 8 Ohm, since at that time I just had a half stack, but we recorded with a rented second 4x12 box.
So my amp still was on 16 ohm but the overall impedance from both speakers where 8 ohms.
Almost half an hour and some takes later I saw my band mates and the engineer waving at me and yelling though the headphones that I should turn around because something started smoking in the iso booth. So I turned and saw smoke coming out of precious amp.

So the impedance mismatch CAN get that bad... Good to know! :)

Lopes said:
stumped, so I jokingly said "Maybe you forgot to hit record," and his face turned white and I knew that was what he forgot.
How could you forget to hit record every time? And go through a whole session with no playback? and no overdubs?

egan. said:
How could you forget to hit record every time? And go through a whole session with no playback? and no overdubs?
I know the band that he was working with, a three piece instrumental jam band, and they just like to go rip through songs one right after another, so he only needed to hit record once.