A Trip Thru Red Times DVD only in NTSC :o(

Mr Blackwell

Greenface
Dec 29, 2003
Vienna, Austria, Europe
Hi, it's me again, the new guy.
The reason why I'm writing again is that I didn't want to start with a negative post, but here I am again.
I just received my European edition A Trip Thru Red Times DVD and I was really excited when I put it into my DVD player.
But what was that?
Distorted black and white picture!
NTSC!!!
AAAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!
I checked the cover of the DVD again and it says Manufactured in Germany and even has a parental guidance note in German. And it also says Code 0, NTSC!!!
What kind of idiot manufactures a European DVD in NTSC?????!!!!!
European DVD players and TV sets are designed to show VHS and DVDs in PAL (the European system) and not in NTSC (the US sytem)!
I know that my DVD player can play NTSC video DVDs, but my TV can't. So I'll have to buy a new one (multi system) to be able to watch my Armored Saint DVD :yell:
So I'm listening to the bonus audio live CD (rec. in 1984) right now (which is great by the way), but the DVD is a major disappointment - and I'm very sad that I have to say that :ill:
Sorry guys...

Mr Blackwell said:
So I'm listening to the bonus audio live CD (rec. in 1984) right now (which is great by the way), but the DVD is a major disappointment - and I'm very sad that I have to say that :ill:
Sorry guys...

Whoa, hold on. I have not heard about this bonus live audio CD. Can you provide some information please? thanks

jdelpi said:
Whoa, hold on. I have not heard about this bonus live audio CD. Can you provide some information please? thanks

Sure: Since the European edition of the Trip Thru Red Times DVD came out months after the US edition, the guys decided to add a special bonus audio CD (which is not part of the US version). It is 19:01 minutes long and features five songs that have been recorded in 1984: March Of The Saint - Mutiny On The World - Stricken By Fate - Seducer - Take A Turn. That's all the information I have. To my ears it sounds as good as the Saints Will Conquer CD.
If you live in the USA and don't already have the Trip Thru Red Times DVD, then I'd recommend you try to get the European edition of the DVD - it is NTSC anyway, and the RC 0 is compatible with all DVD and TV sets worldwide. So, if you are a Die-hard Armored Saint fan and if you are willing to spend a little more money, then order the European DVD. I ordered mine at www.amazon.de.
By the way, I managed to get a multi system TV set today (which I had to return), so I could watch my NTSC DVD once, and it's great!
The interview is very interesting (I didn't know that Joey Vera played in a band with Tommy Lee before his time with Armored Saint).
This is a very entertaining DVD and I'm very much looking forward to the next one which will come out next year (in NTSC AND PAL, I hope).

i looked on google with "trip thru red times dvd import" and found alot of listings for it but didnt manage to find any info about the live stuff. you might have better luck searching than me-most of the sites are german and i dont know any german so it was takeing forever for me to translate the pages.

MRBEAST said:
i looked on google with "trip thru red times dvd import" and found alot of listings for it but didnt manage to find any info about the live stuff. you might have better luck searching than me-most of the sites are german and i dont know any german so it was takeing forever for me to translate the pages.

Try this one:

http://www.metalblade.de/indexE.html
("Long awaited reissue of the legendary video on DVD, with loads of unreleased bonus stuff! Includes never before seen live songs, video clips, slide show and interview, photo gallery, discography, and a bonus live CD of the first ARMORED SAINT show ever! Available November 17! ")

MRBEAST said:

Here's another one:

http://home.nestor.minsk.by/emn/news/3102303.html

"ARMORED SAINT’s A Trip Thru Red Times video will be re-released on DVD in Europe through Metal Blade on November 17th. The disc will include tons of bonus material.

This new DVD version contains four more never before seen live videos, the ‘Reign Of Fire’ and ‘Last Train Home’ videos, a new interview and slide show with the band taped in 2002, a slew of rare photos, the complete discography with track lists and animated menus.

The bonus CD features extreme rare live audio recordings from the very first Armored Saint show ever in 1984.

This European version is different from the US version and includes a lot more material. For maximum enjoyment the sound will be Dolby surround 5.1.

The tracklisting: DVD - ‘Lesson Well Learned’, ‘March Of The saint’, ‘Can U Deliver’, ‘Aftermath’, ‘Raising Fear’, ‘Nervous Man’, ‘Human Vulture’, ‘Chemical Euphoria’, ‘Stricken By fate’, ‘Book Of Blood’ and ‘Long Before I Die’. Bonus Videos - ‘Reign Of Fire’, ‘Last Train Home’, ‘Feel Me Tonight’, ‘Isolation’, ‘Madhouse’ and ‘You?re never alone’. Special DVD Features - six never before released videos, an hour long interview and slide show with the band, photo gallery of rare photos, complete discography with track lists, animated menus and Dolby 5.1 surround sound audio.

CD - ‘March Of The Saint’, ‘Mutiny On The World’, ‘Stricken By Fate’, ‘Seducer’ and ‘Take A Turn’.

Source: http://www.bravewords.com"

Damn, sorry your DVD didn't play. That must have been a pisser. I encountered the same thing with a SCorpions DVD for Acoustica. Said "0" code & it didn't work! Thanks for the info, however on this DVD with the bonus disc. I haven't picked up the DVD, but had seen the VHS on a couple of occasions.

sixxswine said:
Damn, sorry your DVD didn't play. That must have been a pisser. I encountered the same thing with a SCorpions DVD for Acoustica. Said "0" code & it didn't work! Thanks for the info, however on this DVD with the bonus disc. I haven't picked up the DVD, but had seen the VHS on a couple of occasions.

You're right! What a bummer!
I'm glad that I could watch the bonus stuff at least once (with the multi system TV set that I got and returned), and now I'm waiting for my old TV set to break down so that I can buy a new one (all the new ones are multi system).
I can only hope and pray that they don't fuck up the next DVD.
Other European RC 0 DVDs in NTSC that I know of are Black Sabbath's Last Supper, Styx' Return To Paradise and King Crimson's Deja Vrooom.