A Week & A Half On Tour With Metallica...Part One!

Ok, so the title is a little misleading as it wasn't that long but it worked with what I was trying to do! Here is yet another long arsed, overexcited review (especially at the end of Manchester - you'll see why!) of the two shows I saw during the week. Enjoy! :D

Nottingham - Trent FM Arena, 25th February 2009

After seeing the Death Magnetic launch party in London in September of last year, I was so ready to finally see Metallica on their own arena tour in the UK. Andy had very kindly offered to let me crash at his for the gigs and that was very much appreciated as I am always skint! Travelled down to Birmingham to meet him on the 24th. Got the train from Edinburgh to Birmingham for the costly sum of £3!!! I can barely get to the next town on the bus for that! Had to wait for about 10mins at the station for him before heading back to his. We went out for dinner and then went back to his and got our arses royally kicked at Street Fighter IV on the Xbox ("Abel is solid!" Haha!). We also watched Machine Head's secret "Ten Ton Hammer" show until the dvd started sticking so we moved onto one of Metallica's shows at Earl's Court in 2003. Kat had been filming Metallica's rehearsal show in Nottingham that night and phoned for a chat afterwards. Much to Andy's joy we spent much time discussing James' arse as well which I'm sure he was thrilled about listening too!! Haha!

The next day we just hung out in the flat watching Scuzz (who only have about 5 videos on their playlist it seems!) before getting ready to drive to Nottingham. The choice of music was, of course, a bit of Death Magnetic with us both in fine voice, especially during The Judas Kiss. When we got to Nottingham, we parked the car up and headed to the Pit & Pendulum to meet up with everyone. Kat, Su & Neil were sitting at a table as we went in so we sat and chatted to them. Then Rattle returned from the bar and joined us. I have never seen him so nervous as he had won a meet and greet for this show. Gav showed up not long after him and we sat and chatted for a little bit before heading off to the arena. Kat was working for this show so we hung around with her as she was trying to gather together the meet and greet winners, whilst we tried to calm Rattle down - by taking the piss out of him! Haha! I was starving so went into the cafe to get something to eat. The only thing there I fancied was a doughnut which Su was laughing about cos of the "searching for doughnuts" bit in Some Kind Of Monster as it always reminds her of me! After a while, they all went backstage and we just stood around waiting before the gates opened. Eventually they did but we were waiting for Dave and Hairy Muffin to arrive and I had a ticket for one of them so we had to wait. Anne and Ryan also joined us. I think me and Ryan need to speak about what we're wearing before going out cos we both had Master Of Puppets shirts on and the exact same Justice hoodie! We should have got a photo of that now I think about it. Finally Dave and Muffin turn up and we headed down into the arena.

We caught the last few songs of The Sword and to be honest, I thought they were very boring. Plus the sound was really bad and I could hardly make out the vocals at all. I wasn't bothered about seeing them really, I was more excited about the other support band - Machine Head!!!!!! The intro to Clenching The Fists Of Dissent has such a great build up, I absolutely love it! The sound was very poor for them tho which I was disappointed about. Robb was speaking in between songs but I could barely make out what he was saying, if at all. One thing I did make out was something about British metal and then asking the crowd to sing along if they knew the song - that's when I knew we were going to get Hallowed Be Thy Name. They do such a great cover of that song in my opinion and everyone was clapping and singing along. I was just waiting for Robb to go "Scream for me Nottingham!" That would have been hilarious! It was the first time I'd heard them do Beautiful Mourning too but the sound was just terrible - I could barely hear his vocals in the chorus cos he was so quiet.

The only thing that disappoints me about seeing Metallica live now is that they don't play It's A Long Way To The Top by AC/DC before Ecstasy anymore. Hearing that always used to get me so excited (ok, even more excited!) and I wish they would bring it back. It would be like not hearing UFO's Doctor, Doctor before seeing Maiden. Anyway, the magic moment arrives and the lights dim and The Ecstasy Of Gold starts playing with the audience in full voice and the excitement building up even more. A heartbeat resounds around the arena and That Was Just Your Life's intro starts playing. The band run on stage and kick into the song - complete with the coolest laser show I have ever seen in my life!!! The lights are attached to these huge coffin shaped rigs which shoot out lasers and move and twist as the show goes on. As this was the first show of the UK tour and the fact that Metallica has played here loads over the last three years, we were hoping for some surprises in the set. We certainly got that in the shape of The Four Horsemen and the very unexpected Leper Messiah, which I hadn't heard since the 2006 Master Of Puppets anniversary shows.

Gunfire and flames shooting from the stage meant that One was coming up next. Rattle wasn't with us at that point, thank god, but Andy took his place by telling me how wrong I was (a bit of an in-joke for those who don't know!). They had really cool coloured flames shooting out from the tops of the amps during the "Darkness, imprisoning me/Landmine, has taken my sight" bits. After Broken, Beat & Scarred, James was asking the audience if they should play a song that they've never played live before. Of course the audience roared their approval. Then they started playing The Judas Kiss! That song is brilliant and the chorus is SO catchy! One of the best bits of the song for me is between the solos when James goes "Judas lives, recite this vow! I've become your new god now!!". We were all roaring that at that top of our voices. Even tho it's a song that I rarely listen to anymore, I really enjoyed Sad But True. It's just one of those songs which has been played to death and I get a little bored of it sometimes but I loved it that night.

No Leaf Clover followed and was amazing once again. As we'd had four songs already from Death Magnetic, I was wondering if we were going to get All Nightmare Long or not. I was hoping they'd drop Cyanide and have both Judas and Nightmare in there. As I was pondering this, the awesome intro of Nightmare kicked in!! I love that song so much! Andy was changing the lyrics again from "Luck runs out" to "Hair falls out" especially for Kirk and his unfortunate hair loss! Haha! More suprises followed with the heavy as fuck Fight Fire With Fire! Another one that I just did not expect in there! Nice to get Nothing Else Matters after that one to give the throat and neck a bit of a rest!! Haha!!

As they came back onstage for the encores, they started jamming on Suicide & Redemption which sounded pretty kick ass. Me and Andy had been going on and on and on about hearing Breadfan since the 2007 tour so when James went up to the mic and screamed "BREADFAN!!!!!", me and him just lost it!! We started jumping up and down, yelling and hugging each other and I'm pretty sure the people behind us thought we were mental! I was SO happy to finally hear that song as it's one of my favourite covers they've done. After the song, Su turned to me and goes "Where's Fluffy??" which took me a second or two to click onto what she meant! Haha!! (for those who don't know, on the album a voice goes "Mommy? Where's Fluffy?" after Breadfan.) Lars had just continued playing after the song and I recognised the drum beat but it wasn't until the guitars kicked in that I recognised the song - it was HELPLESS!!! I just looked at Andy with an "oh my god!" expression on my face cos that was really, REALLY unexpected!!! As always Seek & Destroy ended the show and we all gave it the last little bit of energy we had. Dave and Muffin managed to get a couple of beach balls again, which Muffin ended up wearing like a kilt after he'd deflated it! Haha! Nearly injured Andy again by almost crushing his fingers standing on a pick. I wasn't going to fight him for it since I apparently elbowed him in the balls the last time we both went for a pick! Haha! So it was only fair he got that one.

After the show, we met up with Kat again who handed us some picks and a setlist. She was telling us all the backstage gossip as well. My favourite stories from that being her walking into Machine Head's dressing room only to find Robb Flynn starkers and also laughing with Phil Demmel (Machine Head guitarist) about him using the ladies toilets by mistake!! Haha!! We went and got some much needed grub before me, Andy and Kat headed back to the flat. Me and Kat sat up until nearly 4am chatting and it was great to catch up.

Nottingham Setlist
That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
The Four Horsemen
Leper Messiah
One
Broken, Beat & Scarred
The Judas Kiss
Sad But True
No Leaf Clover
All Nightmare Long
The Day That Never Comes
Master Of Puppets
Fight Fire With Fire
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Breadfan
Helpless
Seek & Destroy

And some pics...

Outside the arena
SDC16439_1024x768.jpg

Us waiting for Machine Head
SDC16447_1024x768.jpg

Lasers for That Was Just Your Life
SDC16454_1024x768.jpg

The coffin rigs (and no we were not that far away, it just looks it!)
SDC16465_1024x768.jpg

Flames during One
SDC16471_1024x768.jpg

God! 8)
SDC16477_1024x768.jpg

Rob
SDC16485_1024x768.jpg

Just about to announce Breadfan!!
SDC16498_1024x768.jpg

Fun and games during Seek & Destroy
SDC16500_1024x768.jpg

Manchester - MEN Arena, 26th February 2009

The morning of the Manchester show was pretty much the same as the Nottingham one. We just chilled in the flat before heading out. I was the DJ of the car so the music of choice this time was Garage Inc, disc 2 - mostly cos I wanted to hear Breadfan and Helpless again. The Prince came on and I mentioned to the guys that I would love to hear this song live, but even tho I said that I never ever thought I would. I made a bit of an arse of myself in the car too. Andy and Kat had been calling the Hard Rock Cafe, the "Hard Cock" all the time and they knew I wanted to go there to get another badge for my collection. We were talking about where we wanted to go for dinner that night and the HRC was mentioned. Apparently I have an obsession with them and said, "You know what I'm like with the Hard Co.....Rock!!" Argh!! Needless to say, I'll never live that one down anyway!!

After parking up we went there and got my badge but it was packed so we went elsewhere for dinner. Went straight to the arena afterwards and while Kat disappeared through the backstage entrance, me and Andy went in the normal gate and queued up. Lee joined us not long after. A security guard took the last half of the line where we were standing and got us to walk all the way around the arena to another entrance. When we were finally let down into the arena, I couldn't believe there wasn't anyone in there so I quickly grabbed a spot on the barrier - right in front of one of the mics! Result! Of all the times I have seen Metallica, I'd only ever been right on the barrier once before when I saw them in Philadelphia in 2004. Machine Head were still soundchecking at this point so we were all told to sit down. We chatted away and were soon joined by Su, Neil and Gav. Lyndsay joined us for a bit as well. I couldn't believe how long it took for the barriers to fill up - I guess that's the joy of being "in the round", there's just so much front row to choose from!

Got to see the whole of The Sword's set this time and my judgement remains from Nottingham, that they're really boring. Wasn't keen on them at all! Was very excited about being at the front for Machine Head and was praying their sound would be better than in Notts. Saw the roadies wandering about with two acoustic guitars so knew they'd be bumping Hallowed for Descend The Shades Of Night which I didn't mind as I love that song too. We were right by the walkway the band runs onto the stage from and as Dave McClain (MH drummer) ran past, Gav shouted "Bald is best!!" at him which totally cracked me up!!! I've always thought he looked like a monk! (Dave, not Gav!). Thankfully the sound was much better this time! Had a great view of Dave as well. I was disappointed I couldn't really see him in Notts but we really did have a great view in Manchester. I love watching him play cos he makes it look so effortless! Phil and Adam Duce (MH bassist) were over our side quite a lot. Got to do the "Fight!" chant of Clenching with Phil right in front of us which was very cool! I was a little disappointed that Robb didn't come over at all. He just alternated between the two centre mics - ah well, such is life! They were amazing and was in danger of knackering my voice before Metallica had even hit the stage!!! Haha!!! Halo was just outstanding!! That is most definately my favourite MH song!! Adam chucked a pick out near us after and the security guard handed it to me! Hell yes!! And that just set the tone for the rest of the night...

Lee had his flag with him that he's had at the other shows and as it was nearing show time, was putting along the barrier asking me and Su to help hold it up. I joked with him that I would have to think about it in case Met On Tour took a photo of me holding up an English flag!! Haha!!! Of course I helped him out tho. Su's Irish so there was three different nationalities holding it! When Ecstasy started, I got so excited!! Another Metallica show on the barrier - hell yes!! Saw the bad run onstage and then into Life. The lasers look even cooler up close!! I love being so close to the band, you can look them in the eye and get that connection with them. Kirk came over quite a few times during the first song.

At the end of Line, James sang the last bit at our mic and after it had finished, he was looking around the crowd smiling and then down at us and went "You alright?" to me, then threw me his pick!!!! Both hands went out to grab it, not thinking for a moment I would actually catch it. I pulled them back and opened my hands - there looking back at me was a little black diamond with the initials "JH" on the back and I just went into complete shock!! One thing that really touched me was after they all realised I had caught it, Su, Neil, Lee and Andy were all smiling, patting me on the back, saying well done, congratulations etc and that really meant alot that they were so happy for me. I put the pick straight into the zip pocket of my bag which was a little bit of an effort cos I my hands were actually shaking. Managed to get it in there safe and sound just in time for the next song - the mighty For Whom The Bell Tolls!! After the Nottingham gig, my neck was very stiff and since Notts and Manc were back to back, I'd thought I'd take it a bit easier and not headbang as much. Well, needless to say that theory went right out of the window and I was headbanging more than ever!! Bells sounded immense!! I really enjoyed that! The UK Torn's (our chapter of the Metallica fan club) anthem - Wherever I May Roam - was up next. I always love that one live and we were all in fine voice!! The flames for One are so hot at the front. The security guard in front of us absolutely crapped himself when those started - he thought they'd singed his dreads!! Haha!

When the band started playing Cyanide, I knew it would be either Judas or Nightmare tonight, not both sadly. James sang my favourite bit of the song ("Say is that rain or are they tears that stained your concrete face for years...") at our mic which I was really pleased about. He never seems to make eye contact with you very much when he's singing tho, he either has his eyes shut or looks straight ahead. After Sad, James was strumming a few chords but I couldn't really make out what it was. It wasn't until Kirk came in with the slide intro that I realised it was Turn The Page!!!!!! That song is probably my favourite cover Metallica has ever done (joint with Astronomy) and I couldn't believe I was hearing it live! It was incredible and I loved every single second of it. Judas Kiss followed but for some reason they decided to use a taped intro for the first little bit whereas they'd played it live in Notts. The reason for that, I don't know as it had sounded great in Notts. The next surprise on the list was one of my favourite Metallica songs to hear live - Blackened!! The crowd was chanting so loud in the middle bit. We would all put our heads together to sing the "Never!!!!!!" bit. It was so much fun!! I love it when we all sing together! Haha! James sang the whole of Nothing Else Matters at our mic and I was just staring up at him, singing along in a daze like the complete fangirl that I am. Andy said I was practically drooling!! Haha! :lol:

The encores are usually their fast and furious covers so I was very excited to hear what they had in store tonight after the shock of the Breadfan/Helpess duo of Notts. I was not disappointed as they ripped into Blitzkrieg!!!!!!! Another song that I had always wanted to hear live. Remember what song I'd said I wanted to hear in the car on the way down? Well they must have heard me cos after that they went into The Prince!!!!! I turned and looked at Andy with my jaw on the floor!! It was SO good!! That song has only been played a handful of times since the 80's so it was so unexpected. Seek ended the show and everyone was going mad for the beach balls again. The guys started throwing out picks and stuff and I saw Lars running up to our corner. He was teasing everyone as he always does. Everyone has their arms out wanting a stick. I was as well and was trying to catch his eye. Eventually I did and started shouting "Please!! Please!!". He looks at me and goes, "Please?! Please?!" taking the piss out of me and then pouts his lips and goes "Pretty please??". So I shout back "Pretty please!!" and he gives me this "Oh go on then!" look and puts the stick right into my hand. I hung onto it for dear life wrapping my arms around it, determined not to let it go for anyone. After the guys went off, Kat saw I had the stick and goes to me "About fucking time!!" Haha!! It's only taken me 19 shows to get a bloody stick!!! We didn't hang around long after the show as people had to run off for buses and stuff. It was such an awesome couple of days and the whole Manchester experience was just out of this world! It was a very special show for so many reasons, the amazing set, me finally getting a drumstick and it was also Kat's 100th Metallica show! :D

Manchester Setlist
That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Wherever I May Roam
One
Broken, Beat & Scarred
Cyanide
Sad But True
Turn The Page
The Judas Kiss
The Day That Never Comes
Master Of Puppets
Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Blitzkrieg
The Prince
Seek & Destroy

Some pics... (didn't take too many as my camera was dying on its arse)

Lars
SDC16514_1024x768.jpg

Kirk
SDC16515_1024x768.jpg

James during Cyanide
SDC16516_1024x768.jpg

Love this pic!
SDC16517_1024x768.jpg

James
SDC16525_1024x768.jpg

During Nothing Else Matters - my fangirl moment! :lol:
SDC16528_1024x768.jpg

SDC16529_576x768.jpg

Kirk and his awesome white Ouija guitar
SDC16532_1024x768.jpg

Pic my friend took from the seats of us watching Machine Head. I'm right in front of the mic, my friends are to my right
n676025886_1993097_6436723.jpg

And the goodies!
StickPicksSetlist.jpg

Holy crap that was a bit long!!! :eek: Stay tuned for part two next month when I hit Birmingham, Glasgow and London!!

Just found this vid -

You can clearly see me and my friends headbanging at about 4.25. We're the ones with the English flag. :D

Ok, who wants to see me drooling??? Hahaha!

Found One as well - You can see me talk to my friend about 6.13.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn Jenna! My life seems so boring compared to you!! :lol: :headbang:
THanks for these posts and pics! I have not made it thru all the dates yet, but so far they are a good read!! They really do the big arena thing up huh! You look like (and sound like) you are having the time of your life. :kickass:Cheers!

Damn Jenna! My life seems so boring compared to you!! :lol: :headbang:
THanks for these posts and pics! I have not made it thru all the dates yet, but so far they are a good read!! They really do the big arena thing up huh! You look like (and sound like) you are having the time of your life. :kickass:Cheers!

Haha!! That I seriously doubt!! :lol: My life is boring 99% of the time - until I can go on tour again!! :kickass:

Only two dates in this one - there's gonna be three in the next installment!! They get longer and longer with every show!! :lol:

Thanks for reading and enjoying them! I feel I go on a bit but I like to include details!! :lol:

Woah, that's wierd! I wonder why I thought there were 3 of em???? Hmmm,....maybe I saw your post-to-be!!! Bwahahahaha!!! :err: Maybe I need to get off these allergy pills! Hahaha!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :zombie: