Aalborg Rocks 26.02.05

Expectations were high last night in Aalborg. Mercenary has just come off stage, having delivered a truly great show, being local favorites as they are. Now, we were eagerly awaiting the headliners - Evergrey.
Before I say something about yesterday´s show, I have to state that I´m quite an admirer of the last couple of albums from Evergrey - The Inner Circle being my favorite as it seems to have taken the complexity of the group´s songs into a somewhat more direct vein.
Enough said on that, the gig in Aalborg was, in the words of Tom Englund himself "the worst gig we have ever played"!! Yes, you read it correctly: Some 20 minutes into the show the otherwise charismatic lead singer concluded just that. What is that about??
To all fairness, it should be said that the majority of the 350 people who were at Studenterhuset in Aalborg yesterday, for reasons unknown to me, left prior to Evergrey performing. So the attendance for the band´s concert was somewhat poor. But that does not excuse the unprofessional and somewhat arrogant approach to the fans who were actually there, myself included. That does not excuse the fact that the band shortened the set list by what seems to be 5-6 songs - and that does not excuse the poor musical performance.
I still think Evergrey is a great band - but last night they were all but. For an upcoming band this we-are-not-really-in-the-mood-tonight approach simply does not stand up.
And I truly hope that it was the worst performance by the band ever - because if it gets any worse, it is not even a concert. It then is a fun fair. Shame on you, Evergrey!

From a fan truly disappointed.

Dejen, thank you for posting your review.
...well it is sad that their performance was so dissapointing, lets hope that they won't slip up like that again.
Now 350 People is that about literally the amount of people attending? If so it is a rather small event... I would have thought that a lot more folks would be able to attend...
But never the less... making the best of a somewhat screwed up performance like, hey we will make the best of what we got would have been the sporty approach....well blame it on the full moon then, huh.

Damn I hope it's not gonna suck like that when I see them in Copenhagen :cry: Metal music isn't really that popular in Denmark, so I'm not that surprized that only 350 people came. Besides Aalborg isn't really known to be the biggest concert city in Denmark.

Hi

Well as I said yesterday it was one of the poorest shows we have done and there is nothing to blame it on except ourselves , for that we are truly sorry.
However we did NOT shorten our setlist even 1 song since we were under contract to NOT play more than 90 min .
Circumstances bringing this on might have been due to the fact that we started playing at 00.30 and been awake since 06.30, this was also the first show we played since late November so to be a bit under our average skills was only expected for a one off show. This has happened twice in our career so I guess it just happens sometimes but as I said we blame nothing but ourselves.

Tom

Dejen said:
Expectations were high last night in Aalborg. Mercenary has just come off stage, having delivered a truly great show, being local favorites as they are. Now, we were eagerly awaiting the headliners - Evergrey.
Before I say something about yesterday´s show, I have to state that I´m quite an admirer of the last couple of albums from Evergrey - The Inner Circle being my favorite as it seems to have taken the complexity of the group´s songs into a somewhat more direct vein.
Enough said on that, the gig in Aalborg was, in the words of Tom Englund himself "the worst gig we have ever played"!! Yes, you read it correctly: Some 20 minutes into the show the otherwise charismatic lead singer concluded just that. What is that about??
To all fairness, it should be said that the majority of the 350 people who were at Studenterhuset in Aalborg yesterday, for reasons unknown to me, left prior to Evergrey performing. So the attendance for the band´s concert was somewhat poor. But that does not excuse the unprofessional and somewhat arrogant approach to the fans who were actually there, myself included. That does not excuse the fact that the band shortened the set list by what seems to be 5-6 songs - and that does not excuse the poor musical performance.
I still think Evergrey is a great band - but last night they were all but. For an upcoming band this we-are-not-really-in-the-mood-tonight approach simply does not stand up.
And I truly hope that it was the worst performance by the band ever - because if it gets any worse, it is not even a concert. It then is a fun fair. Shame on you, Evergrey!

From a fan truly disappointed.

..nice gesture to apologize.

I guess it takes constant adjustments to the drastic change in livestyles...after all we are all humans and not perfect....fortunately ...it wouldn't be fun otherwise...

Get back in musical shape and move on..

Danny

you must know the darkside to appreciate the brightside

Nosferatu6 said:
Hi

Well as I said yesterday it was one of the poorest shows we have done and there is nothing to blame it on except ourselves , for that we are truly sorry.
However we did NOT shorten our setlist even 1 song since we were under contract to NOT play more than 90 min .
Circumstances bringing this on might have been due to the fact that we started playing at 00.30 and been awake since 06.30, this was also the first show we played since late November so to be a bit under our average skills was only expected for a one off show. This has happened twice in our career so I guess it just happens sometimes but as I said we blame nothing but ourselves.

Tom

Sorry to hear this as I know how much this show meant to those anticipating it and those hosting it. Regardless of the size of the venue and crowd, when you hear a band's going to be there, you expect their best. No diss to anyone, but I just feel that EG owed it to their fans in the audience and their metal brothers organizing the show to do better than that. Wasn't there, can't judge, but I suspect this to be a one-shot mistake. :err:

AMBR said:
Sorry to hear this as I know how much this show meant to those anticipating it and those hosting it. Regardless of the size of the venue and crowd, when you hear a band's going to be there, you expect their best. No diss to anyone, but I just feel that EG owed it to their fans in the audience and their metal brothers organizing the show to do better than that. Wasn't there, can't judge, but I suspect this to be a one-shot mistake. :err:

I agree with you AMBR.

Well, Tom apologized for that what happened. Hope, the guys getting in better shape and mood for their next gigs.

I think it's pretty cool of Tom to apologise about the show. I think we really have to accept the fact that bands like Evergrey tour day and night and that they also aren't Supermans. It's indeed pretty shitty if you are a great fan of the band, standing there with great expectations, and than you hear their playing a messy set. I would complain too. But, as I already said, it's cool that Tom apoligises. How many bands would do that, you think...
Greetz
RagingRazer

Last saturday it was the third time I saw Evergrey in Aalborg, and I think they have been great every time.
It was a shame that so many people left after Mercenary, I guess they just have bad taste in music if they didn't want to see Evergrey, that's Aalborg, to many wannabees.
Even though I saw Judas Priest last wednesday (fucking great concert), I still think Evergrey ruled in Aalborg (but not as much as Priest :Spin: ).

Having posted the first critique, I also think it is quite admirable for Mr. Englund to come out and apologize - it´s accepted, after all we had a great night in Aalborg with some great bands there, giving it a metal-go!!
But of course I also have to point out the necessity for a killer live performance the next time you play near Aalborg again - and I really hope that you WILL, depite the fact that most "Aalborgians" got too tired to stick around for your show.
See you - perhaps - in Århus next time??

Good luck with the support concerts for the GREAT, ONE-AND-ONLY Mr. James LaBrie of proggers-extraordinaire, Dream Theater.

Catch you on the flipside....

Ok, final concert for tonight, and what an excellent choice: Swedish Evergrey! Evergrey is an excellent band live - The sound was perfect, and so was their music. The band simply played a stockload of great songs, luckily also tracks from my favourite Evergrey album "Solitude • Dominance • Tragedy", for the audience, and they were all played within the frames of the word 'Perfect'. I have really not much to add here, except that if Evergrey should play near you, please go and see them. You will not regret it!
Tom Englund & Co. did their best to convince me that they where going to be the highlight of the evening. It was close, but still Communic wins her! Awesome!

www.danishmetalpages.dk