AB III

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Anyone getting Alter Bridge's new album 'AB III'? I didn't like Blackbird all that much, so I'm looking to see if anyone else has purchased it and what you think of the songwriting, production, etc. Thanks!

It's definitely different compared to Blackbird.

I liked Blackbird though and I generally thought the solos on that were better than on III. There are some standout songs on III though I didnt find myself liking it as much as both the previous two.

Thanks Owen. I have been looping samples and youtube rips and the production seems pretty cool from what I can tell. The kick drum sounds great... very snappy and deep and punchy. The snare seems buried in the mix though and very thin. But I would agree with you about the solos (or lack thereof) compared to Blackbird and One Day Remains. I like the low end on this album much more than Blackbird though. The bass and the rhythm guitars are pretty rad.

I kinda liked their riffing style on one day remains better, blackbird had more 'rhythm'-ic stuff incorporated imo but still had some rad, driving riffs but sounded miles better.
This one seems like another step in the same direction.. It sounds great but i'd love a little more riff-love :p

It does sound a bit like the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" mentality, and is sort of a stagnant album compared to the others -- in that it doesn't set itself apart from the others in a good or bad way.

...it doesn't set itself apart....

exactly!
though, the thing is, I felt similar about blackbird after one day remains, like nothing was jumping out at me.
but it ended up growing on me and it gets a spin quite regularly..

offtopic: Played a show last week where we opened with find the real, using lecto live and maaan did that song set the groove! :headbang:

I absolutely loved Blackbird all the way through. Grabbed me straight away from the first listen. I've listened to ABIII a few times now, and something just seems off about it.

I keep thinking that there are parts that are "wrong" melodically, but they aren't. I don't know exactly what it is, but I find it hard to enjoy the album. It's by no means a bad album, but it's not one that reeled me in and makes me want to come back to it again and again.