Abacus - Your New Favorite Label (2004 - sampler)

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
Abacus - Your New Favorite Label
http://www.abacusrecordings.com

Here we are again for another compilation CD! Same rules apply, each track will be given a Bad, Good, or Buy rating to keep things simple. This is a new label for me, the only group I know is Glass Casket (read one of the two reviews and you'll find out the overall verdict is uhh... bad). Off we go!

1. GLASS CASKET - Pencil Lead Syringe
This is one of the songs I actually enjoyed from this album, but apparently that was by comparison only as this is pretty pointless. Crazy grindcore with no focus. Bad.

2. HASTE - Stutter
BLINK 182 playing hardcore. Yes, puke indeed. Bad.

3. RADIATION 4 - When Animals Attack
Interesting carnival guitarwork, I'm not sure what to make of this but it sounds like something MR. BUNGLE might've done. Actually yes, this is pretty much a BUNGLE impersonator. That's not the easiest thing to accomplish in life, so while I don't appreciate the ripoff, at least they do a competent job. Good.

4. BURNTHE8TRACK - Two Worlds Apart
Wow, more BLINK 182 playing hardcore but weaker this time. Bad.

5. BLEEDING KANSAS - Can't Help You There
The riffs and drumming defines raw and is quite good but THESE ANNOYING FUCKING VOCALS ARRGGGHH!!! make it frustrating. Why are so many hardcore bands stuck with shite singers? Growling can be cool, screeching just fits black metal, but this constant yelling shit is terrible. Nontheless, cool song. Good.

6. ALL ELSE FAILED - To Whom it May Concern
Aggghhh, more ever-present yelling. It actually works on this song, but a full album of this would probably drive me up a wall. Just too bad this song falls to pieces after the first minute and a half, a good riff turns into annoying cacaphony. Gah. Bad.

7. THE ABANDONED HEARTS CLUB - The Abstraction of Form and Function
Death vocals over boring hardcore. Goes nowhere, does nothing. Bad.

8. DEVILINSIDE - Swallowing Razorblades
Nice "riff," glad you can play two power chords. This is the track where I feel like killing myself instead of continuing to review this mess. Bad.

9. HEAVEN SHALL BURN - The Weapon They Fear
Good doublebass work and decent riffs. Screams are okay but too high in the mix. Almost like a melodic death / hardcore mix with a good breakdown in the middle. Good.

10. NARCISSUS - Rush
A great intro riff leads to a stupid song from what sounds like a group of 14 year old's manic depressiveness incarnate. Almost catchy, has a good final chorus, and of course that quality intro, so I would give partial credit but this is a pass/fail system. Bad.

11. THE KISS OF DEATH - Purveyors of Bullshit
Good riffery, potentially annoying screams buried beneath the guitars so they sound good. CATHEDRAL growing up at CBGB's is what this sounds like. Good.

12. ALL ELSE FAILED - Step One: Give Up
Good job, you discovered the flatted-fifth interval and how to yell. Now go away. Bad.

13. BLEEDING KANSAS - Give In and Give Up
Did I like their first song? Looks like I did, but this one I don't. Hardcore bands shouldn't attempt to play doom, and the Peter Criss inspired drum solo sucks. This is becoming painful, glad the CD is nearing completion. Bad.

14. BURNTHE8TRACK - The Hourglass Breaks
Shiny happy people playing shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite. Bad.

15. RADIATION 4 - Tick. Tock. Tick.
Interesting odd-time riffing. Weird enough to be interesting, but overall sounds like ass. Oh wait, these are the BUNGLE dudes! This track wasn't as good as the other. Bad.

16. GLASS CASKET - In Between the Sheets
Capable CANNIBAL CORPSE ripoff, and I dig the touchy-feely break after 3 minutes of madness. Good.

17. HASTE - Aspartame
So is this emo? Happy hardcore? Shoot me. Bad.

18. HEAVEN SHALL BURN - Numbing the Pain
More melodic death hardcore. Pretty decent, but not exceptional. Nice piano exit to end this compilation, if it stopped with track 17 I'd be chucking this at cars by now. Good.

So much hardcore just doesn't go anywhere, the riffs and sections seem pasted meaninglessly together and I just don't see the point. Nearly every song is an example of this with a few exceptions, and even those aren't exactly diamonds.

:yuk: / 10

NAD said:
So much hardcore just doesn't go anywhere, the riffs and sections seem pasted meaninglessly together and I just don't see the point. Nearly every song is an example of this with a few exceptions, and even those aren't exactly diamonds.

:yuk: / 10
:D

Good thing we're a heavy metal webzine...

Yeah, I didn't know what to make of the Radiation 4 album. At times it was OK, but I'm not a fan of Mr. Bungle.

I wouldn't mind hearing more Heaven Shall Burn and The Kiss of Death but I probably won't pursue either one.

NAD said:
I wouldn't mind hearing more Heaven Shall Burn and The Kiss of Death but I probably won't pursue either one.
Gah - I just sent out the latest promos. Oh well, next time I'll send you my spare Heaven Shall Burn promo.

I can't stand that melodeath/hardcore bullshit. Bands like As I Lay Dying and Darkest Hour blow ass.

Yeah I'm surprised I liked that Heaven Shall Burn, if someone would've approached me with the prospect of melodic death combined with hardcore I mighta hafta busta cap in dey ass.

I have this sampler lying around somewhere, never bothered to listen to any of it, but I should check out Radiation 4 and Narcissus because I've heard some good press. And combining two genres that have already been beaten into the ground is a quick route to instant irrelevance...

I had a comment about the 'your new favorite label' bit, but decided I had already been mean enough so I deleted it. :Spin:

Erik said:
Hardcore/melodeath crossover is the most retarded thing ever and I hate America for coming up with such drivel.
Not the culture of excess, not George W., not Britney, no. Hardcore/melodeth? Fuck you America. :tickled: