About Friedman And Becker

Dieblo

The L O N G E S T member
Aug 16, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
I bought Cacophony -speed metal symphony last week, And am really digging the guitar playing in this record, But I don't know where to go from here, which one have you listened to and wich one do you recomend of the following:

Cacophony - GO off
Friedman - Dragon's kiss
Becker - Perpetual Burn

Any other recomendations are also welcome

Dieblo said:
I bought Cacophony -speed metal symphony last week, And am really digging the guitar playing in this record, But I don't know where to go from here, which one have you listened to and wich one do you recomend of the following:

Cacophony - GO off
Friedman - Dragon's kiss
Becker - Perpetual Burn

Any other recomendations are also welcome
If I had to pick from that list, I'd be inclinded to pick Friedman's "Dragon's Kiss". The Jason Becker disc is a really close second. Go Off is third.

Glenn

Yes, Go Off is third - and I dont think it's even that good - for me also. You really can't go wrong with Dragon's Kiss or Perpetual Burn.

Platinum Maze said:
Yes, Go Off is third - and I dont think it's even that good - for me also. You really can't go wrong with Dragon's Kiss or Perpetual Burn.
Definitely agree about Go Off. The only true significance to the cd is the playing of Friedman and Becker. Material wasn't as good as the stuff on Speed Metal Symphony.

Glenn

Perpetual Burn. Dragon's Kiss is pretty good, too, but it didn't grab hold of me like Perpetual Burn did. As for Perspective, my son has been addicted to it for the past couple of months.

OfSinsAndShred said:
I'd say go for Perpetual Burn. Technical guitar genius. I hear Jason's "Perspective" is really good, too.
Perspective is fantastic, but you need to know that much of the guitar playing is not Jason Becker. He wrote everything, but whatever was recorded after the ALS set in was played by other players. Michael Firkins is awesome on "Meet Me In The Morning". "Primal" is my favorite Becker track overall though.

funny this came up... just this past weekend, i found some of my old VINYL records in storage, and i seem to have SIGNED copies of "Go Off", "Speed Metal Symphony", both with the entire band, and a copy of "Perpetual Burn", signed by Becker.

I also a signed copy of Freidman's first record, a band called "Hawaii", as well as a bunch of signed Racer-X vinyl.

I had forgotten all about this stuff!!!

Yep...Howe, Friedman,Becker,Moore,Tafolla,Ross, Racer X etc some of them i had to get on cassette....couldn't get Steeler but sadly i have some bad Keel records :)
Apart from the Friedman,Becker and Howe stuff i haven't bothered getting the other stuff on cd...it might turn up in a sales bin or a second hand shop....not likely in a small town like Canberra though....

You are lucky that you got to see all of those guys back in the day....Vinnie Moore did a guitar clinic down here in 88 or 89 and thats the only contact we got with any of the shred scene in Australia.

Shrapnel ruled! I used to look at their ads in the mags to see how many tapes I had of theirs and then make a list of what I didn't have. Varney was a genius.

I saw the Vinnie Moore clinic as well. I actually recorded it on one of those old mini-tape recorders that were supposed to be for recording meetings and other voice-related things. It sounded like crap. I guess I need to look for those tapes...

I saw Howe II two nights in a row back in '90 and that was awesome!

How 'bout Vicious Rumors? Remember those guys? They were awesome!

Ah, the good ol' days...

SevenString said:
funny this came up... just this past weekend, i found some of my old VINYL records in storage, and i seem to have SIGNED copies of "Go Off", "Speed Metal Symphony", both with the entire band, and a copy of "Perpetual Burn", signed by Becker.

I also a signed copy of Freidman's first record, a band called "Hawaii", as well as a bunch of signed Racer-X vinyl.

I had forgotten all about this stuff!!!
Not that I wanna sneak up behind you, knock you out, and rob you - nothing like that - but where do you live? :D Seriously, wow. Speed Metal Symphony changed guitar, I'm very envious dude. And Perpetual Burn is one of my favorite CDs. Racer-X kicks ass, too.