About low-tuned guitar and 7-strings..

Vox Stellarum

Apr 30, 2003
I've been trying desperately to reproduce that low and chunky sound that i like to call the Arch-Enemy. Initially i thought it was just a matter of harmonies(on thirds ) but i realised that that effect is because of their insanely low tuning (A#) .
So i tried changing the tuning of my guitar to A# and the strings were so damn loose they kep hitting the fretboard...and well, it was just bad! So what do they do? How do they maintain an A# tuning?is it something to do with the string(high tension strings perhaps..?) or the guitar(..keep in mind that i have a pretty crappy guitar) or both..?
And another question... if they're tuning it down to A#, isnt it more practical to just use a 7-String guitar where they would just have to tune it down half a step..? or is their sound a result of loose string rather than of the tuning....?

Any help would be appreciated...

\m/\m/

heres what i do in low tunings. i play in B. I get a set of 7 string strings and put them on my 6 string. i just get rid of the high E. and i tune it like a 6 giving me BEADF#B. the tension is the same as the strings your using which im assuming are 9's. from there you can tune to A# and it would feel like playing in D with 9's.

^ so thats the same effect as using some really heavy gauge strings..? cos its really tough to find 7-string-strings where i come from(..India)... so i'd rather use a set of heavy gauge if it will give me something close to that effect...

thanx

Yeah, heavy gauge 6 string sets are an as good if not better solution, if nothing else because the 7 string sets could have different ratios between each string to compensate for there being one extra string or something (I just completely pulled that one outta my ass, but hey, you never know).

Anyway though, Arch Enemy actually tunes to C standard, and only occasionally (Leader of the Rats is the only example I can think of) tunes to DROP A#. Thus, on my guitars, both of which are in C standard, I use D'addario Nickel Jazz Medium gauge strings (.13-.56), and they sound and feel great, although it's pretty necessary that you get the guitar set up to deal with the increased size (on a Floyd Rose guitar, it's absolutely imperative, so you don't pull the bridge right out of the body :D ). From there, If you wanted to get to A#, it would be the same as going to drop D in standard. Hope that helped!

I have been playing c standard for a few years now, really cool sound. i use d'addario strings that are heavy on the bottom and lite on the top, 10-52 i believe. works for me.

Arch Enemy's earlier stuff is tuned B and newer stuff tuned a step higher. You def need heavier gauge strings and if you have a floating bridge like a floyd rose, keep an eye on it cause it will move and not be parallel with the body of the guitar. I never seen the Amott brothers use a 7 string, just heavy gauge strings.

dreadnaught said:
Arch Enemy's earlier stuff is tuned B and newer stuff tuned a step higher. You def need heavier gauge strings and if you have a floating bridge like a floyd rose, keep an eye on it cause it will move and not be parallel with the body of the guitar. I never seen the Amott brothers use a 7 string, just heavy gauge strings.

I think Mike might've used one in Carcass, but thats beside the point.

Anyway, I use GHS Boomers 11-50 to tune to D standard, and Everly X-Rockers 12-60 for Cstandard-drop B, and 13-65 for B Standard.

hmmm, most stuff by Arch Enemy that I can remember (nearly everything) is in standard C tuning...

using a 7-string-set without high e-string and using heavy string gauge is the same thing. with a "normal" 7-string set, you'll end up having the same as with using a 6-string-set of 13s or 14s.

I think I remember reading on the Arch Enemy-hp, that the Amotts use 11s.
personally, I'm used to high string-tension, so I use 13s in standard D-tuning.

you'll have to find out what string-gauge fits best for you.

btw: of course your strings and tuning will have an effect on your sound, but heavyness is not only a matter of tuning.... your PUs and amp have a higher effect on your tone and, of course, your playing-style has a lot to do with your sound!

Vox Stellarum said:
^ so thats the same effect as using some really heavy gauge strings..? cos its really tough to find 7-string-strings where i come from(..India)... so i'd rather use a set of heavy gauge if it will give me something close to that effect...

thanx

Something you might want to try are acoustic strings. I have never put a set of acoustic strings on an electric in my life, so it may sound horrible, but some of those bluegrass players use some really heavy gauge strings on acoustic, so it may be easier to find for you. I don't know how well it will sound, but it may be worth trying.

Bryant

Actually, with pure acoustic strings, you won't get ANY sound as they don't have magnetic properties that can be picked up by the pickups. If they're acoustic/electric strings, they'll work.

Other than that, I can't really add more than what's been said already, other than having a guitar with a longer scale; this will add some clarity to your sound if you're tuned really low.