about new Amorphis

At first I couldn't find any hooks on the album to grab on, besides the obvious in Day of your Beliefs. Through repeated listens I learned to enjoy FFTS for it's own style, not compared to the previous two albums, and I've come to immensely enjoy the laid back and groovy atmosphere on the album. FFTS is certainly more progressive than the change between AM Universum and Tuonela, and I'd rank it on the same level of those two albums.

discouraged1 said:
and i hear they played just one song off the new album on Wacken, and 3 off Elegy, 4(!) off Tales and even 1 from The Karelian Isthmus. Does it says sth of the band's opinion of the music they create nowadays?
To comment on this, Amorphis didn't play in Wacken this year, you probably mean Summer Breeze. As far as festivals go, it's common for bands to play old classic to please the crowds, it doesn't necessarily say anything about the bands like or dislike for their new material. I do know for a fact they played three songs off FFTS in at least two other festivals this summer however.

Anthony3 said:
I thought the new Amorphis was pretty boring. Not one heavy part on the entire cd.

Tuonela is my favorite Amorphis.

It's a pretty strange remark. I think FFTS is much heavier than Tuonela. You should listen to it again.

Tuonela is my favourite Amorphis album too.

I also like Amorphis very very very much. Followed them since Elegy. And I think the new album FFTS is SUPER !!!
You have to listen to this album more than once (like with the other previous albums). And such kind of albums gets respect of me !!!!
How more you hear it, how more you will understand it and hear the power in it, even in Pasi's voice !!!
No it is not metal any more.... it is just a good strong rockmusic.

Let be honest, the music which you have to hear it for several times, remains good , it won't be getting flaw in the past, it gets only stronger and stronger after each listen-section and that get respect of me, that bands can do that. But that is my opinion

yeah this album isn't too heavy at all really. More like a porcupine tree cover album but a very bad version of it ya know. It just sounds like they put too much into it & made a big deal about something that clearly was no "tales"

Ormir said:
To comment on this, Amorphis didn't play in Wacken this year, you probably mean Summer Breeze. As far as festivals go, it's common for bands to play old classic to please the crowds, it doesn't necessarily say anything about the bands like or dislike for their new material. I do know for a fact they played three songs off FFTS in at least two other festivals this summer however.
yup, you're right, the friend who told me this was both at Wacken and Summer Breeze(lucky him!),so I din't catch quite rightly who was were...

To me the new Amorphis was a little confusing... I seriously like the music, but the vox kill it! I far preferred the vocal style on Elegy, Tuonela and the likes if I look at their 'clean vocal' albums... Old Amorphis will always be my favourite though!

Wrote a full review... You can read it here if you're interested

i really like far from the sun. it took me some time to appreciate its calm and quite unique atmosphere (which some will probably label "boredom") and now i can enjoy it just as much as tuonela and elegy (two of my favourite albums) when i'm in the right mood. every amorphis album was a "grower" for me and as much as i love their music, for me it really only works when i'm in the right mood. and as i said, if i'm in that mood, far from the sun gives me just as much as their classics, in its own special way.

It's pretty unique though; they've taken some parts of their earlier material, mixed up with some elements from the "tuonela-esque" stuff and probably tried to make the combination of this hit harder then all what came before.

Well, I can't say FFtS has succeeded in blowing me away from chair, but I was quite surprised that they didn't made a third tuonela. That they pull it off to make references to their earlier work in such a interwoven way earns my respect.

Imagine Katatonia mixing with Criminal with I Break... and Without God! :loco:

dg said:
It appears I am the only one on this forum who finds this is a great album... sorry to contradict you all.

i must say that i found it magnificent when i heard it. a far cry from where they came from but you know, so is Katatonia.

they still make quality records, albeit, different, but quality.

My favourite song on FFTS is Higher Ground. This has really grown on me, but I still prefer Elegy and Tuonela.