About Smoke and Mirrors

Originally posted by ElPredicador
Well, Mr Allan is faster, cleaner, has a wider finger range, and plays 1000 times harder than Mr Romeo.

Faster? How do you know this? Have you actually measured notes per second?

Cleaner? I don't hear any sloppiness in Romeo's playing. Exactly how is Allan's playing cleaner?

Of course Holdsworth has a wider finger range. He has bigger hands. That's not Romeo's fault.

How do you know that he plays "1000 times harder" than Romeo?

Well, I am a guitarist myself, and have a lot of friends who are guitarists too. But, anyway I see that you have turned this discussion into a "this guy is wrong, so lets tear him up to pieces". I'm sorry if that was your intention, I'm not falling in that game.

PS: If I said Allan is better, I dindn't mean that Romeo sucks.
PS2:
That's not Romeo's fault
Of course. Is it my fault that I am not as fast as any of these? no, but still I am slower.

This is all matter of opinion. No one can say for a fact that Romeo is better or Allan is better.

and another thing, being fast does not equal good.

Also, to see that I'm not badly founded, check the solos on The Drums were Yellow, on The Sixteen Men Of Tain album. You should also count that these solos are improvised, which takes makes you slower, and the fingerings, they are not a sweeped arpeggio, or a major scale. And that he plays with 4 fingers per string (although I dont know if he's using it here, but he ussually uses it, so I dont have a reason to think he doesn't), instead of the usual 3 fingers per string.

Well, I am a guitarist myself, and have a lot of friends who are guitarists too.

I'm a guitarist too and I'm not hearing what you're hearing.

But, anyway I see that you have turned this discussion into a "this guy is wrong, so lets tear him up to pieces". I'm sorry if that was your intention, I'm not falling in that game.

No, that's not my intention. I'm just a person who challenges claims made by people who don't really offer evidence to back it up.

PS: If I said Allan is better, I dindn't mean that Romeo sucks.

Never thought you meant that. I just don't see any objective standard by which you can say Allan is better.

Also, to see that I'm not badly founded, check the solos on The Drums were Yellow, on The Sixteen Men Of Tain album. You should also count that these solos are improvised, which takes makes you slower, and the fingerings, they are not a sweeped arpeggio, or a major scale. And that he plays with 4 fingers per string (although I dont know if he's using it here, but he ussually uses it, so I dont have a reason to think he doesn't), instead of the usual 3 fingers per string.

How does 4 notes per string make something harder? FYI check out Romeo's instructional video...he has examples of use of diminished scalar runs where he uses 4 notes per string.

hey Yngvai_Malmsteve, let's drop this topic. If you still want to continue with this, email me at fsatelerp@hotmail.com, and I will continue with it, but i don't like to make large discussions in public, and also to not bother the other people

If I had kept my mouth shut in first place...
But hey, what can you do.:D