about to track bass please help!

rispsira

Mar 18, 2010
So not all but most guitar DI recording is with the guitar volume on full and tone pot as well.. Then the main tone chase happens with the amp during recording.

Now today i have been preparing some scratch bass tones for tomorrow and one of the patches i have made needs the bass settings a certain way and the other needs the bass eq controls set differntly from the first patch.

So basically what i need help understanding is that the bass DI track involves some additional commitment i dont have to make when tracking guitar DI's.

So i am not really sure what bass settings to chose for the DI's since i find it to interact with the sound i make afterwards..

Anyone have any pointers or would like to share how you deal with that? :worship:

EDIT: "then the main tone chase happens with the amp during recording" (2nd sentence). I mean during reamping when recording the final take.

How much I know recording DI is same thing you record with straight input into an amp. But you have to watch out for cliping and other failure posibilities.

i know what you mean
with guitar you just use bridge position, max vol - done
but with bass you actually have a choice, there are more settings that can work, also, if there is an eq on the bass there are even more possibilities

to be honest i'm quite not an expert myself, but i usually use either bridge pickup, or bridge/neck together, and everything else max, except if there is an eq i leave all knobs in the middle (->not using the eq)
the main difference with the pickups is IMO how they take distortion,
bridge alone sounds more bright, and kinda classic/oldschool, it can also take more distortion before sounding like shit
bridge/neck together is less bright, but i find it easier to get it sound heavy, though if you want to really hear the bass in the mix, i'd rather take bridge

i once made a thread about that, there is some nice info in it
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ps-bass-guitars-how-do-you-like-set-them.html

i'm going to throw this out there, but it's probably time you learned how to go with the flow, use your instincts and COMMIT to a sound. if it ends up sucking balls, well, now you know what NOT to do on your next session.

without these tests to one's ability, you will NEVER, EVERRRRRR fucking grow.

have the bass player play, and tweak the controls on the bass as he plays until you hear something that YOU like.

easy! =D

One thing you need to remember and this is the key. Record the bass will all tones in mid. Then in the mixing stage break the bass in two parts. Example/ 1)for the high mid range breaking into mix part that needs two show with gtrs. 2) low creamy warmth for the slow Gtr solo.

Get the idea?? Just mix it after. There's no wrong way and there's no right way, if it sounds good, it is good.