Guitar DI's Tracked in Stereo problem. Please help.

hkollner

Oct 5, 2008
Hi Guys,

Our guitarist tracked the guitars for our album at home using his Tone Port UX2.
When he tracked the DI's he tracked it on a Stereo track and NOT a mono track in Cubase. He then used the Audio Mixdown feature in Cubase when he exported each DI as Mono with panning on center and no effects.

So my question would be, Does stereo tracked DI's make a difference when exported to mono in the reamping stage. The reason I ask is that I struggle to get a good tone out of these DI's as apposed to any other DI's. His DI's make the ampsims "honk" in a very annoying way. He has a good guitar with good pickups so I doubt that it's that.

Am I correct in saying that when tracking on a stereo track the signal gets split 50/50 between left and right? and then if you export it as Mono you lose signal qualities thus making the DI's sound werid?

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks in advance :Spin:

there should be no issue if he recorded one take in stereo then bounced to mono, the volume would just increase by 3dB if left and right were the same thing,

you might get weird results, if he did one take for the left and one take for the right and then bounced to mono, but even then i don't know that it would create the effect you are talking about.

There isn't a way to un-bounce a mono file back to stereo if the original left and right were different. Get him to send you the original stereo file so you can split into two mono channels and use those, then you'll be able to identify the problem

As said, if it's only one recording pass and recorded in stereo it should be the same on left and right.

You can do a simple test to check if they are the same.
Just put the stereo file across 2 channels, pan them center and invert the phase on one of the channels, the sum should be complete silence.