__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Abscess – Damned and Mummified
Red Stream Records – 2005
By Russell Garwood

abscess.jpg

Abscess, sick puppies? Having fully absorbed Damned and Mummified I can say yes, yes they are! I would not be surprised in the slightest if the band did a gig at a cancer ward as a joke. But I digress, yes, the ex-Autopsy boys are back, with some more gory goodness. The sound is far from the unadulterated old-school death metal you may expect, however. Slower songs show doom style riffage, and the fastest moments ring of thrash. Some of the rhythm work and solos are even reminiscent of rock n roll or – gasp – punk. Crazy! In other words, this is some surprisingly diverse stuff.

The vocals are a death metal growl, with entertaining gore lyrics. Heavy guitars rely on tight rhythm work, impressive, fast-as-hell solos, and slower riffs. There is usually enough of a tune to keep everything interesting, without being overtly melodic. The bass is powerful, occasionally lending a groove to the sound, under which the drums are well performed. Other than the solos, this sound really isn’t so tight, it is as metal should be – loose and dirty, and damn good fun. Abscess have created a niche of their own in the world of death metal, and on the strength of Damned and Mummified, let’s hope they don’t leave it anytime soon!

8/10

Official Red Stream Records website

I need to see more reviews of this before I pick it up. This is one of maybe 2 others that I've seen for it. Does anyone else have any opinions to share about it?

This is nothing like early Abscess, but I'm sure you realize that. There's a part of me that misses the more primitive, completely destructive and fucked up earlier stuff, but a bigger part of me likes the new coherence in this recent material. I tend to like specific songs out of the earlier material - even on the "Open Wound" 7", I like a couple tracks far more than the others. This new stuff is more consistent, maybe even more thought out, but still great.

I'm sure there are folk who fucking hate the new stuff, and can give fine reasons for it. I love the sense of humor, darkness, fucked up soloing, and doom bits. It's great stuff.