AC/DC: Black Ice

A7

Live to Win
Feb 9, 2008
Makati, Philippines
www.myspace.com
AC/DC's newest album comes out on October 20. And by the sound of the first single, it's bound to be the band's first good album since 1990's The Razor's Edge.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX2xbqWtyJU]AC/DC - "Rock 'N Roll Train"[/ame]

There were two albums between The Razor's Edge and this one, but they were disappointing. Pretty sad, as Ballbreaker (1995) marked the return of the classic lineup (with Phil Rudd back on drums). Rick Rubin may have done wonders with producing Slayer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and most recently, Metallica, but his contributions didn't work well with AC/DC.

Stiff Upper Lip (2000) was slightly better, but still considered by fans as "filler." Majority of the songs seemed random and repetitive.

There were two albums between The Razor's Edge and this one, but they were disappointing. Pretty sad, as Ballbreaker (1995) marked the return of the classic lineup (with Phil Rudd back on drums). Rick Rubin may have done wonders with producing Slayer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and most recently, Metallica, but his contributions didn't work well with AC/DC.

Stiff Upper Lip (2000) was slightly better, but still considered by fans as "filler." Majority of the songs seemed random and repetitive.

I liked "Ballbreaker" myself. I skipped "Stiff Upper Lip" but I do like that new single they put out.

I've picked up a copy of Black Ice and listened to all of it a couple of times. Aside from "Rock 'N Roll Train", the other good songs are "War Machine" and "Big Jack." So far, it's a pretty good album. Nearly every song has the classic AC/DC sound. Overall, I rank Black Ice #4 among the Brian Johnson era albums and #8 among all of AC/DC's studio albums.