Accoustic drum triggers to Dm5-Midi to Mac.

Via Noctis

Jun 23, 2007
Wisconsin
I recently bought an Alesis DM5 and thought it would help cut down on the number of inputs I am using. After a lot of searching on the forums I noticed others recommending trigger modules. I was wondering. I noticed a large difference in the drums sounding natural with a module and have better results with the triggers to my interface. Is that normal? Or do I need to make some adjustments on the module?

Off the topic. If you mic a drum set, with 2 kick drums. You need at least 8 channels, right? Why are all interfaces only 8 channels? Does every drummer record to a click track?

Love this forum!:worship:

I have no idea what you are really asking.

a.) if you are using the dm5 to dump the drums to midi, there might a slight time delay, so you will have to correct that to fit the acoustic tracks you have recorded

b.) if you are using the sounds from the dm5, then the same as above, plus the dm5 is a really old units and the samples aren't the best around...

c.) what ? :loco:

Maybe this can be of some help

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyMXRtIiWVE&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. To clarify, I have a mac book pro and firepod. I have done recording with the triggers directly into the interface and then using Aptrigga to replace the sound. And I am happy with the results. But I thought If I went from the triggers to a drum module DM5 I could cut down on the number of inputs I am using and also save on computer speed by using the midi out. But when I used the Dm5 I used a software instrument track in logic. Tried both Battery and EX24 and noticed that "machine gunning." But there were good tips in that video. Thank you.

Ok. I kinda picked up the tip of tape under the trigger from the video above. I use Ddrum red shot triggers. Only thing is that my drummers set is really nice so I don't want to tape the shit out of his heads. I planed on recording samples of his set which is a custom pork pie set, with my akg 414. Then using those samples. While I am on the subject, I noticed most of the links on the Drum sample sticky are dead links. I hear "ftp" Can someone send me a link to that thread, I can't seem to find it. :loco: