Recording acoustic drums with mesh heads and triggers vs. Electronic drums

black.death

BOOMandTACTiswhereitsat
Mar 1, 2009
I want to record drum parts but when I have owned a set before, it was just waayyy too loud. What method gives less false triggers on fast double bass? What would be the least loud?

Recording an acoustic drumset with mesh heads and Ddrum pro triggers or an electronic drumset such as the Alesis Dm5 or Roland TD-4?

Less false triggers? I was probably going to be recording the sound from the ddrum triggers and sound replacing this later btw.

Just record the MIDI data from an electronic kit. Easier to manipulate and quanitize if needed. Yes electronic drums have less false triggers afaik, it would also require just one midi cable. You can always do midi to audio conversion later if necessary.
I just recorded a promo this way. Recorded midi data from electronic drums then simply loaded an instance of Superior Drummer on the midi track.

Triggering fast kickdrum parts with a double pedal will never be 100%, no matter if you're using the kick pad of an electronic drum kit, or real kick drum with mesh head + trigger.
If you're really serious about everything getting triggered you can go two single pedals, i.e. two bassdrums with a trigger each or two electronic kick pads. This works absolutely flawless. But I don't think that's absolutely necessary for studio work, as mistakes can be easily corrected. I always used a trigger on (one) kick drum and it never really gave me any headaches. 99% gets triggered correctly.

Triggering fast kickdrum parts with a double pedal will never be 100%, no matter if you're using the kick pad of an electronic drum kit, or real kick drum with mesh head + trigger.
If you're really serious about everything getting triggered you can go two single pedals, i.e. two bassdrums with a trigger each or two electronic kick pads. This works absolutely flawless. But I don't think that's absolutely necessary for studio work, as mistakes can be easily corrected. I always used a trigger on (one) kick drum and it never really gave me any headaches. 99% gets triggered correctly.

+1.
I get false triggers on my e-kit the whole time, even after trying numerous kick pads. I'm now using a 12" mesh kick pad and I still get false triggers when doing some fast double bass.

i always wanted to connect the drum trigger to a module before it is recorded to the pc, lets say the sound produce later is directly from ezdrummer or addictive drums. Can the alesis dm5 do that? i want to buy one, but im afraid i might get the wrong thing... and thats a bummer!!

i always wanted to connect the drum trigger to a module before it is recorded to the pc, lets say the sound produce later is directly from ezdrummer or addictive drums. Can the alesis dm5 do that? i want to buy one, but im afraid i might get the wrong thing... and thats a bummer!!

Yes it can, but so can most crappy modules so long as you're not interested in their on-board sounds and are using it just to output the MIDI to your DAW.