Roland TD-19 and Triggers??

Sep 19, 2006
hey is anybody using a setup like this, or something similar: Ddrum Triggers -> Roland TD-10 -> Motu 8-pre -> Cubase SX3 -> Plug-ins (possibly Drumagog)

I'm curious because I'm about to record with this set up this weekend and hopefully everything goes well. But I'm hopin some one can maybe give me a heads up or some tone secrets!!!

I've also got a DM5 I could use but the TD-10 is more versatile with better tones.

Any tips for recording with triggers???

I use a TD-3 direct via MIDI. It works, but as it shows all imperfections on timing you have to spend some hours editing the track.

At this moment my band is recording drums at home with a TD10 with the standard Roland drumpads.

We are only recording the midi to be converted to DFHS or Superior Drummer 2.0 later on. The drumsounds in the TD10 aren't very good.

If I were you i would record the midi also.

If i didn't use the TD-10 what set up would work well with the triggers? I'm not really looking into editing all the time, I've been recording to a metronome for years so I'll be doing minor editing. I don't have DFHS or any drum programs other than drumagog.

Okay, put the triggers in the TD10.

Now record the mains outs, thats the mix from the sounds out of the TD10.
Use this sound for monitoring.

Record also the midi. Instead of DFHS you can also use EZdrummer, the little brother of DFHS. With a good computer you can use EZdrummer realtime.

Before you can record the midi, you must set up the TD10 to match EZdrummer/DFHS. Otherwise a snarehit (example) would turn out to be a kickdrum.

It's not hard. Hit the snare and adjust the midinote in the TD10 just as long as you see the snare from EZdrummer blinking. Now do the same with the other instruments.

(If you don't have the time to adjust velocity and stuff in the TD10, just record the way you think is easy. Recording midi takes some time before everything is set up good)

If i didn't use the TD-10 what set up would work well with the triggers? I'm not really looking into editing all the time, I've been recording to a metronome for years so I'll be doing minor editing. I don't have DFHS or any drum programs other than drumagog.
Record the MIDI and ask someone on here to DFHS it for you. Or just trigger drumagog by routing the triggers directly to your interface... (if you have enough inputs)

Otherwise, MIDI to DFHS is going to be your best bet for non-electronic sounding drums.