E drums, DIY triggers, adding another module...

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
So I want to add onto my Roland TD-3 and want to do it cheap since bands don't seem interested in using it (although I like it personally).

My plan since I'm tapped for inputs is not to upgrade the module and add another instead (I actually like the way the TD-3 triggers honestly).

So my idea is to add another TD-3 module (I have seen them all over the place for $100 or less) with one of these (they cost $60) for a total of $160 for another 9 inputs (high hat control doesn't count as I don't have plans to add another high hat):

DV016_Jpg_Large_702502_V.jpg

And to add triggers I was going to convert the cheapo mapex kit I was given (tom sizes 8",10",12" :lol:) into more triggers and perhaps buy some more cymbal triggers (I don't really care for DIY cymbal triggers).

Seems like this could all be done for around $240 ish if I did the math right (sans extra cymbal triggers and mounting hardware for added cymbal triggers).

My question though is I wanted to have this right:

I was going to use drawer slider hardware as the bridge accross the shell to hold the trigger and hold it in place with 2 small L brackets. Seems cheap enough of an idea (thank you youtube).

Ebay has sever bulk transducers for sale with low shipping options so I was going to do that for them and then order the wire and TS connectors somewhere else or snag from Radio shack.

I was going to use the leftover foam from the mopads to build the cones as it seems to be a little more solid than other options. I wanted to make sure I had the construction right though:

TL/DR:
Just want to make sure this is right:

Crossbar with plate screwed in (this makes sense to me, I would explain but can't haha)-->Transducer (wire side facing down I'm assuming)-->Foam cone-->compressed slightly into mesh head.

I'm also assuming that since Roland offsets the transducer on their triggers that this is the best thing to do for DIY as well? I wouldn't want it centered correct? Am I correct to also assume that the wire side faces down? Should I use 20mm or 27mm transducers? I was thinking 20mm, unless someone tells me otherwise.

I was going to stick with the Roland mesh head 2 zone pad for the snare though. All those toms would be converted to single zones (the Roland only recognizes single zone inputs on the tom inputs anyhow and I prefer it for toms anyway).

Also are these mesh heads any good?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Mesh-Rhythm-Traveler-Inches/dp/B003OXKA4Q[/ame]

Just got my roland TD4, so this seems like an interesting project.

Mine has dual zone crash, ride, and snare. So I thought about ditching the dual zone feature for recording, splitting the stereo 1/4" for each of those into 2 monos opening up 3 more spots for add ons. Also could ditch the HH pedal for a 4th add on.

That way I could add on some toms or crashes without having to fudge around with more shit.

If you are interested in making your own pads, Im pretty sure you can mod those cheap remo practice pads with $4 of radio shack parts. Or if space isn't an issue, just make triggers and put em on real toms and record the midi from the mods.

I made a trigger once from those parts, and duct taped it on my bass drum head and it worked okay hahaha.
Msg JonWormwood, hes uses DIY trigs live

I think I'm gonna go with this design as it seems to make the most sense to me. :lol:

If they turn out well enough I may ditch the PD-8s and pick up more cymbal pads in favor of useing these. The only thing I would like to do different here is mount the TRS jack to the cake pan so they are true drop in triggers (how bad ass would it be to be able to drop these into any drumset?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can the TD-3 modules be merged? Never knew that. The merger just takes all of the midi outputs and outputs them as one? Better have the module midi notes set right! Last time I played Superior Drummer on my TD-3, I found the hi-hats to be shit. Must try the 2.3 update now that I have my own rehearsal & studio space! :)

Really? My Td-3 plays superior flawless. The only issue (still) is the stupid fucking bell is on the bow of the ride instead of how it should sound. All other sounds map right for me. I did have an issue when the hats were tightened down to tight of it double triggering once and a while but once I loosened it was fine.

I honestly don't know the theory seems sound, I imagine anything that is doubled on accident just triggers in 2 places if the merger works right.

Anyhow, I'm building the triggers first. I'll be adding another module down the road if this works out and reporting what I find. The only downside I can see is that I will have to get the cymbals off the rack since it's so fucking small and I need all the room I can get to get everything else mounted to it.

Change the midi note that the module outputs to remap the different zones of the dual-zone cymbals. When you're editing the midi note output, be sure not to accidentally edit the other zone. You'll see the module note hop as you hit the different pads & zones when editing. The manual should have you covered.

Really? My Td-3 plays superior flawless. The only issue (still) is the stupid fucking bell is on the bow of the ride instead of how it should sound. All other sounds map right for me. I did have an issue when the hats were tightened down to tight of it double triggering once and a while but once I loosened it was fine.

I honestly don't know the theory seems sound, I imagine anything that is doubled on accident just triggers in 2 places if the merger works right.

Anyhow, I'm building the triggers first. I'll be adding another module down the road if this works out and reporting what I find. The only downside I can see is that I will have to get the cymbals off the rack since it's so fucking small and I need all the room I can get to get everything else mounted to it.

I wish I could use a real hi-hat though.
I've never really liked the TD-3's cymbals. They just feel so "wrong" to me. Nothing beats getting behind my acoustic kit, but the ekit is just more convenient (for recording). :(

I admit it would be nice to have a more realistic sounding and feeling high hat. But to get a module that recognizes that kind of trigger input is more money than I want to shell.

Actually the guy who made that cake pan trigger made one:

The problem is that a TD-3 or 4 module will not recognize this kind of input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to know if the new Alesis DM dock has these kind of capabilities. As far as I know the DM10 module will take an input like that. But I don't want to shell that much.

It sucks, most studio e kit users are not going to use the module sounds. I wish they would come out with a budget module that was good, but designed to only be a controller. I've heard mixed reviews on the alesis trigger I/O, which almost seemed like the perfect idea.

I would probably attempt to build a HH controller if I had a module that accepted it due to the insane cost of the roland one ($600 usd IIRC)