What drum triggers do you prefer?

brianhood

No Care Ever
What is your go to drum trigger in the studio?

I love the sharp transient the ddrum triggers give you, but the transducers are utter garbage when it comes to lifespan.

I resorted to using Roland drum triggers because they have literally lasted me years, but they don't have nearly as tight of a transient, and they have too much bleed.

Ddrums have the best transient but as you say they just don't last. I like the drumdial triggers, super cheap, though again the transient isn't as clean as the ddrums.

I've always loved Rolands, never had a problem with the transients actually. Maybe look into the Ukko b-band transducers or the Ddrum dual shot (I don't know if that's what they're actually called but they're black and have two piezo units for redundancy)?

That's so weird everyone says that about the ddrum triggers. I've play like a million shows and a squillion practices with the same snare and kick triggers I've had for years and they're still like mint condition.

I've always loved Rolands, never had a problem with the transients actually. Maybe look into the Ukko b-band transducers or the Ddrum dual shot (I don't know if that's what they're actually called but they're black and have two piezo units for redundancy)?

probably two piezos because they know how easily they break.

That's so weird everyone says that about the ddrum triggers. I've play like a million shows and a squillion practices with the same snare and kick triggers I've had for years and they're still like mint condition.

It's funny, because I had the same kick trigger for several years of tour, playing a couple hundred shows\year. It never went bad.
Fast forward to running a recording studio: I went through about 4 kick triggers per year. Not to mention countless snare\tom triggers.

Ddrum have another new trigger out actually, looks like it might be an improvement. £220 a set though.

Chrome Elite drum triggers represent our pinnacle of trigger construction and performance – in a brand-new chrome finish, with improved wiring harness and transducer for even better tracking, reliability & longevity.

based on industry-standard Acoustic Pro triggers
improved wiring harness
improved transducer

http://www.ddrum.com/chrome_elite_triggers.php

Most of them are pretty garbage for longevity to be honest. But I'm using the drumdial ones, cheap and surprisingly longer lasting than the ddrum ones. Probably because the ddrum element is a sliver of piezo while the drumdial is a full circle piezo.

I've actually started building my own ones and they last longer :p so that's been nice

My Ddrum pro kick trigger was constantly breaking, and u can get replacement transducers for like 7 bucks, but once I got tired of doing that I switched to Roland ant havet had an issue since.

The reason they break now instead of when you were touring is that the wire/solder joint gets slightly bent over time taking them off and putting them back on. if you leave it on one drum they last forever. im pretty sure if you just put superglue all around the solder joints on the ddrums they would last much longer :p but i use the roland and ddrum though.