My weird fix for tracking triggered drums with no module, anyone done this before?

Dan R

Apr 13, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Has anyone used drum triggers without a midi module before? Right now mine is broken, so I have my Roland kick trigger going into one of the inputs of my Apollo, and I have the UAD1176LN boosting the signal into APtrigga to level the hits out. It seems to be working pretty well. Anyone have any experience doing this?

cheers,
Dan

do it every time I track drums (unless with a little EQ I can get a brutal NATURAL kick that will work throughout the tracking process. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS on kick. SNR can be a bit trickier but as I said, I just pop a ddrum trigger on the kick, send it to a mic-pre and use trigger in realtime.

Using a Fireface 800 and latency has NEVER been an issue for me. Plus it's easy as FUCK to get a kick drum to trigger properly with Trigger... takes me 10 seconds to get it dialed in, even on really soft hits or quick triplet-type rolls.

do it every time I track drums (unless with a little EQ I can get a brutal NATURAL kick that will work throughout the tracking process. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS on kick. SNR can be a bit trickier but as I said, I just pop a ddrum trigger on the kick, send it to a mic-pre and use trigger in realtime.

Using a Fireface 800 and latency has NEVER been an issue for me. Plus it's easy as FUCK to get a kick drum to trigger properly with Trigger... takes me 10 seconds to get it dialed in, even on really soft hits or quick triplet-type rolls.

exactly like that.

It's probably a more common practice to use triggers without a drum module in recording situations nowadays, you know, since the 80's are over and all. People often record triggers alongside real mics and then use the 'piezo pop' for gating, or for replacing i.e. a kick drum without having to worry about any bleed messing with the software.