Alesis DM5 and Roland triggers

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
Have anyone tried the Alesis DM5 with the new Roland triggers?
If so, do they perform even better then the traditional DDrum triggers in terms of not double-trigging or leaving out hits?

Today I A/B'ed Roland and DDRum triggers with an Alesis DM5. The Roland triggers did NOT work well with this unit. Perhaps they work better with the Roland TD-series, but if you use an Alesis module go for DDrum, they killed the Roland triggers. With the Roland triggers there was either not sound at all or just double trigging all the time. The DDrums worked flawlessy with a really fast deathmetal drummer I tried them with. Needed a bit of padding on the floor tom though. Just thougth i'd let all of you know.

we're using the dm5 with some real shitty guitar center triggers (like 15 bucks each)...anyway, through the PA it sounded fine despite a little bit of cross talk. when we recorded with them though it was a disaster. phantom hits everywhere.

however, we spent 2 1/2 hours fucking with the levels and after a while we finally got it. we had it plugged into protools to see the hits instead of hear them. i suggest doing that if you havent already.

my point is that even with shitty triggers you can get the job done with the dm5--just be patient with the crosstalk and v curve settings.

*one more thing--I had to duct tape the hell out of the floor tom because it was causing the kick trigger to go off. it made the tom sound better though.
**one more thing--no offense to you drummers out there, but i hate you guys. why are me and the other guitarist doing this for our lazy-ass drummer? double bass is at a premium these days i suppose