Recording with Drum Triggers

ElektricEyez

Aug 29, 2007
I have no experience what-so-ever using drum triggers. But I was contemplating on the thought of using them, because drummers are so inconsistent with their playing velocity. So when you go to use a replacement VST trigger, such as ApTrigga, you end up getting false triggers because the drummer hits the snare like a wussy and bleed from other drums is louder than the snare hit. So then I end up raising the threshold of the trigger and go through the entire song and find the wussy hits and increase the gain so that the trigger responds properly.

I was thinking if I triggered just the kick and the snare, that would help with the issue is this correct or do you end up with other problems such as double triggering?

Also, Would I need a brain to record with triggers or can I just use a trigger like ddrum and use the 1/4 cable (or XLR depending on the model of Ddrum) to connect directly into my Firepod to capture the transients and later sound replace using Aptrigga?

The problems you describe are very real, but there is a easy fix for this, albeit a little labour intensive.

I dont know if ApTrigga can do this, but Drumagog can send and recieve midi signals.

This is what I do (assuming that the drum tracks have already been recorded):

1. Insert Drumagog on the track, lets say a snare track
2. Fiddle around with the sensitivity until its pretty good
3. Set Drumagog to send midi
4. Create a midi track and select Drumagog as the input
5. Arm the midi track for recording
6. Press record and let it go through the whole song

Now you should have a nice miditrack with all the information that Drumagog picks up.

If you also use Drumagog for the new snare sample you want to use then set Drumagog to recieve midi
and select Drumagog as the output on your miditrack. Remember to turn of the Send Midi feature in Drumagog
or remove Drumagog as the input on the miditrack.

Edit the miditrack until you are satisfied (delete all fake triggered signals, adjust velocity etc.)

This should give you perfect results in almost all cases.

This only works if the drums are already recorded though.

If you want to trigger live then I suggest micing the snaredrum in such a way that
there is no bleed at all.

Thats my two cents anyway :O)

apTrigga can't send MIDI... Shitty, I never thought about doing it that way, that's an awesome idea! Are there any freeware plugs out there that can record MIDI data from a drum track like that? Or any clever workarounds anyone can think of...?

I was interested in doing the same thing. I use Drumagog (bahaha more like drumagod! lol at lame joke) but srsly its the beez knees. I did some testing with a trigger, I tapped the triggers pressure point with a pen while it was plugged into a XLR cable. I was getting Signal up on cubase. Will be doing more research on this very soon in my own studio. Ill Let you know what happens.

I was interested in doing the same thing. I use Drumagog (bahaha more like drumagod! lol at lame joke) but srsly its the beez knees. I did some testing with a trigger, I tapped the triggers pressure point with a pen while it was plugged into a XLR cable. I was getting Signal up on cubase. Will be doing more research on this very soon in my own studio. Ill Let you know what happens.

Cool, I am curious to hear about the results!

also with ktdrumtrigger if your drummer is playing to a click track and you put the midi channel in snap record.....if he's just a little off when you play back it should be in time.

i tried that a while back, but it was sort of a pain to pull off with the triggers

what i did instead was to set up some mics in front of me, crank the gain, then i played a bunch of fills with pencils