Achieveing Epic Acoustic Production

Leper_/-\ffinity

Child of The Grave
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
I was just trying to wrap up a song of mine, and it has acoustic instrumentation in it, even though it is a metal song, and I was just wondering if any experienced sound engineers could give me any small insight on how to achieve an acoustic sound like the one on Epic, in relation to the other music. It's very laid back in the mix it seems, and quieter, yet it still stands out enough to be appreciated. Anyone give me any insight on this, like EQ, or other effects or plugins to use for this?!? Thanks.

PS I love the production on this album.

As to the placement of the microphone, I find the best place to put the microphone for recording is in front of the guitar around the area where the neck joins the body, with the microphone about 6 inches away. Unless you're playing a guitar like an Ovation (which has a body back that directs all the sound out of the inside of the body like a radar dish), you'll get a guitar sound that is very boomy and muddy if you put the microphone near the soundhole of the guitar.

Yeah, see, I usually put it right ove the sound hole, and it is a little too boomy, so I will try to not touch the EQ and use different mic placement to achieve this sound, thanks for replying Asgeir and Twilight, I really appreciate it. Btw, your drumming rules on Epic Asgeir, I especially love the drum work on Origin and Sealed Chambers of Electricity.

Asgeir is right, the best results come from a top notch microphone. Personally I've found it easier to use a good acoustic/electric instead of mics.