Acoustic Guitar

outoftune

Jun 6, 2007
www.timreischmann.com
Hi guys,

I need to record some acoustic guitar and I am not sure what the best recording chain would be. Here's what I have at my disposal:

RME FF400
StudioProjects VTB1

Neumann TLM 103
Shure SM57
Shure SM58

Takamine G-Series

I have an additional 200 EUR that I could spend on gear, if it would really benefit the process.

I know I won't be able to get there, but Rise Against - Hero Of War is the sound I am aiming for - that is, the closest I can get to that. Any tips on ITB processing?!

http://vimeo.com/5565580

Not used to acoustic guitar recording, so any help is greatly appreaciated.

Thanks
OOT

I usually use 2 of the same mic, in an XY pattern, with one mic pointed at the 12th fret at the other pointed at the soundhole, but since you don't have 2 matching...

I'd use the TLM103, angled at the soundhole like you would do if you were doing an XY (45 degree-ish), into the FF400, double track the part, and you should be good to go

If you don't like the sound you get from there just move the mic around until it sounds good. You really shouldn't have to do a lot of processing, maybe just a compressor on the acoustic if the playing is really dynamic

Most of the sound will come straight from the guitar so you'll probably know what to work with straight away! I think the neumann towards the sound hole will sound ace

The tlm-103 sounds great on acoustic guitar.
It picks up a lot of low end if pointed straight at the sound hole.
If you're looking for a more balanced sound try aiming for the point
where the neck meets the body or straight over the bridge.

To use one large diaphragm over the bridge and one small diaphragm
over the nut gives you a pretty cool sound if you have a good guitar
and a guitar player who can sit still while recording.
Pan left-right and keep track of phase issues.

I've tried miking acoustic from underneath,straight under the sound hole,
pointing to the ceiling. Half of the diaphragm covered by the body,
half visible to the player. Gives kind of a thin dobro sounding tone.
Pretty cool depending on player/music style.