Acoustic Panels for drums and vocals

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
I've been reading up on DIY acoustic panels and was wondering if they are built the same with a mixing room and if you want some treatment for recording drums or vocals. Anyone build any acoustic panels for there recording rooms and not just the mixing room? Also, have they helped a lot for drums?

I've been reading up on DIY acoustic panels and was wondering if they are built the same with a mixing room and if you want some treatment for recording drums or vocals. Anyone build any acoustic panels for there recording rooms and not just the mixing room? Also, have they helped a lot for drums?

They help, especially in the corners of a room where the low end likes to reside.

thanks. It's going to be a pain in the ass mounting bass traps in my room. Especially in one corner where there is a damn pipe going along the entire corner from the floor to the ceiling. Not sure what I can do about that. Any ideas?

A good option is to build panels that you can move around so you can put them on the corners to act like bass traps or create a small "room" to record vocals.

You can also build it the panels to have on one side rockwool/fibreglass and on the other side a sheet of wood. This way you will have panels that can be used to absorb or to reflect depending on the situation.

Also remember sound doesn't see a room like we do- you can put bass traps in the horizontal corners on the roof or floor.

any tips on building stands for portable panels to record vocals or drums with? Basically a situation where I can't hang them on a wall.

Remember, the more air gab between the panel and wall increases the absorption, if direct mounting is not sufficient ! ;)