How To - DIY Acoustic Panels (Australian Materials/Suppliers)

I whipped up a few of these for my mixing room recently and figured I'd contribute a short how-to to the forum. It was a very basic design but I didn't grab too many photos; so feel free to ask questions if you'd like.
1.jpg

STEP 1:
I cut the wood required to make my frames. My panels are 600x640mm and 90mm deep. For these panels I required 4x600mm lengths and 1x640mm length (this length is non-load bearing and only used to staple the fabric to, use any timber you may have laying around). I used a handsaw and sanded by hand but obviously power tools would make this step a lot easier.
2.jpg

STEP 2:
I assembled the timber into the box frames. I simply used nails as the timber will be covered by fabric, however using woodworking glue would also work.
3.jpg

STEP 3:
I cut the acoustic insulation to fit. Being Australian, I had to do a bit of research on what insulation to use. I ended up choosing Tontine Acoustisorb 3. This material is safe to cut without a dust mask, and performs well in the test results I researched. For other Australians, you can get this through the special orders desk at Bunnings. I used two 50mm sheets sandwiched together in my panels. I cut using a 4' grinder and cutting disc.
4.jpg

STEP 4:
Upholstery. My most dreaded step. I used a staple gun and just fumbled my way through it. By the end of my first panel I started to get the hang of it though. You can use any breathable fabric, I got mine from Lincraft for $5/m. Didn't take a picture of this step, sorry.

STEP 5:
Hanging. I hang my panels using Zenith Surehook picture frame hanging kits. This size of panel weighs around 4kg, just make sure you get a hanging kit that supports your panel's weight.

Any questions please let me know. These can be made pretty quickly and easily, and in Australia its far cheaper to make them yourself than bother to get them shipped.
5.jpg

sweet! thanks for doing the insulation research for me. gonna be decking out a couple rooms in january and this will help :)

Thanks for the post man, will be super helpful.
I'm curious as to what this cost you in the end? I was planning on making my own using the rockwool that's available at Bunnings, but this Acoustisorb stuff looks a little more fitting for the purpose.
Also, how much Acoustisorb did you get all up, and how many panels did you make?

Glad it is of help to you guys.
Frak, I'm unsure of the costs, but I think I used about $20-$25 worth of timber, fabric, nails & staples for each panel. I bought 3 sheets of 2400x1200x50mm Acoustisorb 3 for about $140. So far I've made 5 panels (2 were 600x600x100mm, 3 were 900x600x100mm) and I've got about one and a quarter sheets left. There are a few different grades of Acoustisorb, but Acoustisorb 3 is the most dense so I went with that one.

Glad it is of help to you guys.
Frak, I'm unsure of the costs, but I think I used about $20-$25 worth of timber, fabric, nails & staples for each panel. I bought 3 sheets of 2400x1200x50mm Acoustisorb 3 for about $140. So far I've made 5 panels (2 were 600x600x100mm, 3 were 900x600x100mm) and I've got about one and a quarter sheets left. There are a few different grades of Acoustisorb, but Acoustisorb 3 is the most dense so I went with that one.

Wow, that's a crazy amount cheaper than buying the pre-made commercial stuff. Such an easy build too. I'll definitely be doing this next pay, but I think I'll add feet to them so that I don't have to destroy the walls (I live in a rental).