Just built some acoustic panels and a new junction box

fade_2_black

Apr 11, 2006
www.keirlefoh.com
Just built three smallish acoustic panels.

Have plans to build 10 in total, three for the control room and 7 for the live room.

The frame was built out of 90mm x 19mm 'knotty pine' - I chose this over others as it was the lightest by a long way, was reasonably nice and was cheap! The backing on the frames is 3mm thinboard - just wanted something light that would hold the insulation in.

The frames are rectangular; approximately 500mm x 1000mm. They are filled with QuietStuff Sound Solution insulation. Its not fibreglass unfortunately but considering the price I could get the stuff at it was too hard to pass up. Got some cheap, breathable fabric to cover the front, looks pretty nice.

I've only made the three now, started last night and finished up just before - very easy to make. Unfortunately I don't have any step-by-step photos but if anyone is interested I can do so for the next lot I do - sometime early next week probably.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Going by how much it cost me to build these three, total costs for all ten panels will be around about NZD$180. Pretty fucking cheap! Thankfully I have a mate who works at a local hardware store and was able to hook me up with his ridiculous staff discount.

I also (over the past couple of days) just finished soldering a new junction box and am midway through finishing up a new junction box - its all going to look great when its done! No photos of this quite yet unfortunately - heading to the studio tonight those so might get some photos and post them if there is any interest for it.

Nice!
so what frequency you think the lowest these babies can go down too?

Nice!
so what frequency you think the lowest these babies can go down too?

To be completely honest, I'm not sure. I have Fri-Mon all booked out but on Tues I'll hopefully have time to get in the studio and do some response tests.. I haven't really done much acoustic treatment work in the past so this should be fun!

I've been reading up on some DIY bass traps and will likely be building some very soon too; I'll keep this thread updated..