Acoustic treatment score!

musickey

djenital moosic
Feb 17, 2006
INDIANA
I’m at work and happened to walk by the loading dock and see a truck loaded with a bunch of office cubical partitions, I asked the guy loading them up what he was going to do with them, his reply was “taken em to the dump” So I immediately called the building authority and got permission to take what I wanted lol, so I loaded up my truck with about 4 - 5x5 panels, 2 – 5x3 panels, and 4 5x2 panels and a 3x5 panel with stabilizing feet. I have been mixing in a concrete box with no treatment so I am sure hanging these around the room will make a huge difference.

They look like these
photo2.php

http://www.buyonlinenow.com/search.asp?1=1&keywords=Maxon+fabric+panels

Well I doubt they'll be much good at absorbing low end, though if you put 'em at the first reflection points they'll definitely help I'd say! (sit in your chair in your mixing position, and spin in your chair to follow someone walking around the room sliding a mirror along the wall - put those panels wherever your monitors show up in the mirror) And ya can't beat the price!

Well I doubt they'll be much good at absorbing low end, though if you put 'em at the first reflection points they'll definitely help I'd say! (sit in your chair in your mixing position, and spin in your chair to follow someone walking around the room sliding a mirror along the wall - put those panels wherever your monitors show up in the mirror) And ya can't beat the price!

Yeah in my case anything is better than concrete lol, and yeah thats a great bit of advice on the mirror trick, crafty shit!

And yeah each of those large panels are at least $200 if you order them.
and Metaltastic i know you will get a kick out of this. You know that XXX Head i was talking about picking up for $150?.........well i ended up giving the guy $200 and i get it home and hook it up, and nothing......:mad: call my buddy at GC and he said he knows it worked for sure becouse he tested it. well to make along story short the impedence switch is bad, the 8 ohm setting is fried, they were using a 16 ohm cab at GC, anyway its getting repaired right now.

They won't do wonders in the low frequency range, but actually, if it's quality panel, they do absorb bass surprisingly well. Stuff like Ecophon's Master is amazingly efficient.

Yeah in my case anything is better than concrete lol, and yeah thats a great bit of advice on the mirror trick, crafty shit!

And yeah each of those large panels are at least $200 if you order them.
and Metaltastic i know you will get a kick out of this. You know that XXX Head i was talking about picking up for $150?.........well i ended up giving the guy $200 and i get it home and hook it up, and nothing......:mad: call my buddy at GC and he said he knows it worked for sure becouse he tested it. well to make along story short the impedence switch is bad, the 8 ohm setting is fried, they were using a 16 ohm cab at GC, anyway its getting repaired right now.

Haha, well at least you got it from GC, and not some Craigslist sketchball! Hope it's not too expensive a fix dude (and that no damage was done to the output transformer from an impedance mismatch :ill: ), but I daresay the repairs could be like $400 and it'd still be a good deal!

I haven't had experience with those but I'm sure it will be way better than concrete ;)

BTW, place them a few inches away from the walls to get extra absorption (it should be noticeably more than if they are touching the walls).

BTW, place them a few inches away from the walls to get extra absorption (it should be noticeably more than if they are touching the walls).

Yeah, true that, and good point! (I don't think it'll make any difference in the high/mid absorption, but definitely in the lows)

I haven't had experience with those but I'm sure it will be way better than concrete ;)

Thanks for the input fellas. I will try and hang them up this weekend. I will use 2x4's as a frame to keep them off the walls.