Finally started building some room treatment (pics inside)

After months of thinking and almost getting to it and then again forgetting the whole thing, I finally managed to grab a pack of fibre glass wool from work and getting some wood to build a few acoustic panels. I got 10cm thick Isover KL35 for the wool, since we had some spare packs lying on the site, and 12mm thick planks for the frames so that the panels wouldn't be too heavy to hang on the walls of my rented flat. For fabric I grabbed some dark blue, ordinary bed sheets from the corner shop. Corner irons and screws I got on my dad's account from the local hardware store since I bumped into him and he offered to get them for me. Here are some pics from the assembly (crappy quality, since they're taken in a really dark environment with my phone):

materials.jpg

All the materials dragged into the extremely small, crowded and dark storage room in our basement. I could barely find enough room to use a handsaw to cut the planks :/ In addition, it was really fucking hot down there. I sweated like a little pig, and I'm running a fever so I had to pop out every now and then to get some fresh air.

assembling.jpg

I used corner irons and short screws to attach the planks to each other. Not the most convenient way to do it, but it was the first one to come in my mind so I went ahead and it worked fine enough. I made the frames pretty tight so the wool pieces stayed in place nicely without the fabric on.

covering.jpg

Next, the fabric. I had to do this in the basement corridor 'cause the storage room floor was filthy and there wasn't enough space to lay down the sheets. I placed the frames (with the wool panels already in them) over the sheets, cut the fabric and stapled it to the planks. This was the most time consuming part for me, since even though I can handle the basic woodworking tools just fine, fabrics are a whole different planet for me. Also, I had to battle the voices in my head whispering "Gay... Gaaay... GAAAAY..." while covering the panels.

finished.jpg

Here are the finished panels waiting to be installed. I still have to do two or three more, but I ran out of staples and fabric :/ I haven't figured a good way to hang them, either. They're small but still a bit heavy, so normal interior nails might not be enough to hold them. I'll pick some up tomorrow and see if they stay in place.

I put a screw in each side of the frame and then tied string across the back to each screw. So basically its like a picture frame with the wire across the back and then you just put a screw or 2 in the wall and hand the wire/string on them. I'm sure there is a better way but thats how i did mine.

Firstly, 666 posts, sweet!

Secondly, do the voices inside your head really speak English and not Finnish, or is gay the same in both languages?!

Thirdly and finally, those panels look bitchin, man, I should get round to sorting myself out with some, god knows I need them!

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I got a nice set of hooks to screw on the frames, but the problem is in the walls. They're concrete so I can't use normal nails (just tried, got a load of concrete dripping out of the hole \o/), and because it's a rented apartment, I really wouldn't like to drill holes for screws :/ I managed to hang two of them on good spots on both sides of my monitors using a bookshelf and the wooden doorframe on the other side :)

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I got a nice set of hooks to screw on the frames, but the problem is in the walls. They're concrete so I can't use normal nails (just tried, got a load of concrete dripping out of the hole o/), and because it's a rented apartment, I really wouldn't like to drill holes for screws :/ I managed to hang two of them on good spots on both sides of my monitors using a bookshelf and the wooden doorframe on the other side :)

I had this problem too and decided to put screws with hooks on the walls... when i leave this rented house i will just put some "product" (i dont what to call it it english) to seal the holes drilled.
If u really don´t want to hang them on the wall i suggest using "solid" mic stands like mentioned here:
http://www.audiogeekzine.com/?p=390
It has the advantage of being movable, so u can run some tests afterwards on the room to find the best placemment of your traps.
:saint:

How many traps did u make? I´d suggest about 10 12 traps......

I had this problem too and decided to put screws with hooks on the walls... when i leave this rented house i will just put some "product" (i dont what to call it it english) to seal the holes drilled.
If u really don´t want to hang them on the wall i suggest using "solid" mic stands like mentioned here:
http://www.audiogeekzine.com/?p=390
It has the advantage of being movable, so u can run some tests afterwards on the room to find the best placemment of your traps.
:saint:

How many traps did u make? I´d suggest about 10 12 traps......

Thanks dude! I looked into the mic stand option, too, but I just happened to try some small interior nails that are thin enough to get through concrete but so strong they won't bend. I got the four panels on the walls now, and the difference is already quite obvious :)

I had a minor setback, though. I went shopping for more fabric and realised I had bought the last sets of the bed sheets, so now I have to hunt down another set of the same colour or do the remaining panels (two small and one bigger for the back wall) with another colour :/

I'm settling with seven panels for now since I'll be moving in a few months into a two-bedroom flat with my girl, and I'm gonna turn the smaller bedroom into a mixing room for myself. Those "spare" bedrooms are pretty small, so fitting more panels would be quite hard. I'm thinking of making a ceiling cloud in addition to the panels, but for now I'll see how much the seven panels alone help :)

i have yet to make a ceiling cloud also.....but these times are not good ( going to be layed off ) FUCK...........and waiting for it to move to another house
the thing isn´t let´s say how many traps one has but it´s positioning, therefore a ceiling cloud is a must.