Rockwoll and health issues

Aug 16, 2008
London, UK
fb.com
Right, this is a pretty straightforward question. I built about 6 panels and hung them up in my control room, but as I wait for new wooden planks I was dying to stack 2 in both corners behind the desk so I did today without any cloth covering just straight up stacked 2 in each corner. I got some really really small cuts in 3 fingers (which I think would be to expect), straight to the point, can this shit be dangerous to health? Just by being in the same room with it, breathing and stuff?

P.S. - They're not exactly "really close" to me, they're about 1.5 / 2 meters from mixing point
Cheers dudes

I think it`s dangerous at some point, i lived in a studio 3 years and lot of dust comes out from the panels , maybe it was not well covered just a textil on top of them, but one thing it`s true for shure since i moved from there i don`t cough at all, and i sleep well at night. So my werdict is that it`s not good for lung...
When the panels where installed it was a specific smell to, we tought that it will be gone in a couple of days, but remained maybe not so intense in time....
After 4 years we had to remove the panels and beneath the panels we found lot lot of mildew. the wall was green beneath the panels ...

I think it`s dangerous at some point, i lived in a studio 3 years and lot of dust comes out from the panels , maybe it was not well covered just a textil on top of them, but one thing it`s true for shure since i moved from there i don`t cough at all, and i sleep well at night. So my werdict is that it`s not good for lung...
When the panels where installed it was a specific smell to, we tought that it will be gone in a couple of days, but remained maybe not so intense in time....
After 4 years we had to remove the panels and beneath the panels we found lot lot of mildew. the wall was green beneath the panels ...

From the sound of this you either used some radioactive plutonium fiberglass, or there was something else very wrong about the building. Mold?

I just took them out (damn I really needed them in those corners :/ ) But still the panels I've got hanging when I built them I didnt cover the whole back with cloth, just the "front" bit... could that be hazardous as well? Should I take them down and cover them 360 degrees?

I wouldn't worry about it unless you are building these panels for a living. There is a big difference between being exposed to loose fibers and having a panel encased in fabric on the wall. If you experience excessive "shedding" from the panels then add a second layer of fabric.

They're pretty solid, they don't shed at all. My main concern was that the back which is against the wall is pretty much uncovered and I just kept thinking about if some fibers got loose and you breathe all that stuff, I got a pretty big cut on one finger and a few small ones on others... if this happens by touching I can only imagine what would happen to my lungs if I inhale it

There is a reason most people recommend using gloves and masks when handling any type of fiberglass.

If you are worried about the exposed rear of the panels, do something to make them not exposed.

Easy enough. Yes, it probably isn't in your best interest to breathe in glass fibers...But also Egan is right in his assessment. If it were me, I would have encased the whole panel with fabric from the start...And use gloves and masks when you are working with or building the panels if you want additional protection.

yeah im currently building traps with 4 inch thick rockwool, and was slightly worried about this myself, but i know that after i wrap it up (front and back) i wont be over exposed to it, although i do live and sleep in my mixing room (bedroom)

good to hear it doesnt have huge health risks, ill be having my windows open for aobout two days after though to make sure, but i smoke too so my lungs would kill fibre glass :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I do use a mask when handling it, no gloves though...

I was just asking how everyone else that actually built theirs have them set up... but I will take them down and wrap the back for peace of mind

From the sound of this you either used some radioactive plutonium fiberglass, or there was something else very wrong about the building. Mold?

no it was not radioactive :p, and it was not even fiberglass, nobody recomended fiberglass (we heard that it`s even worse)it was high density "mineralwoll" not shure if it`s same as rockwool, the rooms where clean and i think we made a great job, everything was very well built, you can see pictures here
http://dreddstudio.hi5.com
MOLD? yes i mean mold , sorry my english it`s not so good
beneath the panels the wall can`t "breath"

maybe it`s just my bad experience but for shure living there it was not healty for me, don`t understand me wrong it`s not so bad, you realize in time that something it`s not ok...

no it was not radioactive :p, and it was not even fiberglass, nobody recomended fiberglass (we heard that it`s even worse)it was high density "mineralwoll" not shure if it`s same as rockwool, the rooms where clean and i think we made a great job, everything was very well built, you can see pictures here
http://dreddstudio.hi5.com
MOLD? yes i mean mold , sorry my english it`s not so good
beneath the panels the wall can`t "breath"

maybe it`s just my bad experience but for shure living there it was not healty for me, don`t undesrstand me wrong it`s not so bad, you realize in time that something it`s not ok...

I'd say it was the mold causing the breathing difficulties over the fibreglass. That shit's nasty and can really affect your health. I wouldn't be that worried about covered rockwool- once it's covered it should be fine.

were the frames made of wood? and laquered or varnished i could see wood, that wasnt varnished, going moldy, or growing fungus in something as typically hot as a studio