Help me with my next purchase

setyouranchor

Celestial Recordings
May 17, 2010
North Wales, UK
So I'm thinking about upgrading my current monitors, Alesis M1 Active MK2s, to something like Yamaha HS80s, possibly even HS50Ms. I'm really not fond of these Alesis, they have a really strange low mid frequency dip and they're really bassy. The next thing is, my room is untreated and its pretty much impossible to treat as I'm in an attic room, so lots of corners, weird shapes and panels etc.

So my question is, what would you guys do?

Go for the upgrade in monitors or go for a pair of Audio Technica ATH M50s?

Oh man, well I'm in an oddly shaped attic type room too! Damn corners. I've got some treatment but its difficult. I have the ATHM50s and they serve me well. My only complaint is after awhile they can be a little hard on the ears, but I guess that comes with mixing with headphones. I'm looking at upgrading my monitors to save my ears a little in the long run.

So I can highly recommend the ATHM50s, but you'll probably still want monitors in the long run so if its either or I would probably upgrade from the Alesis ones, I hear so often how sweet the Yamahas are but I can't speak from experience, I'm torn between those and a pair of A7xs...

I've got ATH M50's and Yamaha HS50's. I also used to won the Alesis M1 Mk2's
The HS50's are great. These speakers translate REALLY well and if you've got no bass treatment I'd say you'll be better off with these over the HS80's. No point in pumping more bass into a room that can't handle it (as I'm sure you've learned with the Alesis')
The M50's are good also but I still feel that mixing on headphones is VERY hard. My mixes done on the HS50's in an untreated room translate better than my headphone mixes do.

I'd say get the HS50's and grab/build some kind of bass traps. It might be a pain in the arse and it wont look pretty but it WILL sound MUCH better.

I'm in exactly the same boat! I didn't know what midranges monitors were worth investing in in an untreated room

I've got ATH M50's and Yamaha HS50's. I also used to won the Alesis M1 Mk2's
The HS50's are great. These speakers translate REALLY well and if you've got no bass treatment I'd say you'll be better off with these over the HS80's. No point in pumping more bass into a room that can't handle it (as I'm sure you've learned with the Alesis')
The M50's are good also but I still feel that mixing on headphones is VERY hard. My mixes done on the HS50's in an untreated room translate better than my headphone mixes do.

I'd say get the HS50's and grab/build some kind of bass traps. It might be a pain in the arse and it wont look pretty but it WILL sound MUCH better.

Thanks very much mate :) Narrowed things down a bit!

I've also seen on the NAMM 11 videos this year the new Focusrite VRM Box which looks pretty interesting. Anyone got any thoughts on the new VRM Box?

http://www.focusrite.com/products/vrm/vrm_box/

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=13513

"VRM overcomes the major obstacle for mixing with headphones by giving you multiple perspectives on your mix, as if you were listening through speakers"

It basically lets you hear your mix in virtual rooms using impulses etc. You have to listen on headphones (preferably as flat as possible) and you can choose to listen in 3 environments (studio, bedroom and living room) on different systems (KRKs, Yamahas, Mackies, TV set etc)